Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Weird insight . . .

Haven't been writing lately. But today I think I've come to the conclusion that wanting to be Ma instead of Mom was my brain's way of not letting go of our Big Kids. I believe that Ma is really the equivalent of Mommy that I absolutely despise when I see it used in social media or when I hear a grown woman speak with her Mother and call her Mommy. It grates on me so much I think I have a true phobia. But . . . as I listen to our adult progeny I realize that they have been more adept at letting go than I. They already refer to me as Mom and they're right; I am Mom - not a Ma who may try to get her way because she is their Ma who with their Dad and Great Aunt helped to raise them. So as I realize this I am  happy to be Mom and let our big kiddos continue their lives as they have been doing. They are certainly the very capable humans we wanted them to be.

3 comments:

2Evil4U said...

Interesting. I've always used the terms interchangably.

Qu'que chose said...

I may be overthinking things in my dotage but I really think I see a difference in the usage of Ma or Mom. Ma just feels so right and good. Mom is good too but in a different way - as if I've outgrown Ma. Told you I'm growing up!

Qu'que chose said...

As I overthink this I guess the three of you use either one interchangeably. I like that.