Friday, February 19, 2016

Didn't go as planned but that's okay . . .

I was going to put more things away today but living got in the way. We took a ride down winding LA 16 ostensibly to Port Vincent and even though I said, "This is Port Vincent." as we drove along, P&D's Pop just kept rolling along. So I just enjoyed the ride. Many miles later, after driving through Port Vincent, the French Settlement and Maurepas he asked when were we going to reach Port Vincent. Needless to say we never had communicated properly! But that was fine as we had a great senic ride. There are so many houses of all sizes, shapes and prices it in really unbelievable. There are dumpy looking places cheek by jowl with the most elaborate fancy places imaginable. We stopped at Rouses to pick up lunch, a sampler of five different meats and four sides. It was an enormous amount of food with chocolate cake for desert.

After all that I needed to walk so I donned my new straw hat and took off up the street. As I returned from my first lap I saw two of our neighbors overseeing a ditch cleaning project so I came home to tell P&D's Pop he should meet the neighborhood men hanging on the street.  I kept walking while he introduced himself and chatted with the neighbors. As the workers were getting the ditch cleaned out to prepare the way for a new cement driveway next door to us the men fished out a good sized snapping turtle. One of the men, Jerry, who has a landscape service, came to our home and checked out a crape myrtle that is too close to the house. Two seconds later he was back with his power saw and trimmed it for us and had one of his workers pick up the detritus. He would not let us pay him. I must say that that was very nice of him. He and his wife Lisa go to their Mississippi home on weekends to relax so along with David and Laura across the street we can help to keep an eye on their equipment. We have been told that our sub division is very safe. Jerry actually planted the three Live Oaks in our yard from acorns 15 years ago. That is pretty darned cool. All of the houses here are about twenty years old. A farmer sold the land for this sub division and gave his grandson four acres. He's the man with the huge house and gated property.

Also found a very nice nursery because our real estate agent, Mary Ann stopped by and as we chatted she told me where I could find better plants than Home Depot. Boy, was she ever right! Poor Grampa, he's in trouble now. I only bought one big pot to put outside and a straw hat for protection from the sun. But I've only just begun.

No comments: