Monday, July 8, 2013

Despicable . . .

Summertime near the side stairs
And so the treacherous heat and humidity are still here. I gave Puppies and Dante's Pop the choice of a movie this morning; he chose Despicable Me Deux. I was surprised that I really did enjoy it. We saw the 3D version. I'm so naive. I never expect a cartoon to be so much fun. I never really watch a movie well on TV but put it on the big screen, in your face, loud, noisy and I pay attention. We'll be taking in a few more while this weather lasts. Went to  Ekonk Hill Turkey Farm for Maple-Bacon ice cream but they were out of it. Settled for very good Coconut-Chocolate Chip which did the trick. Puppies and Dante's Pop only had a diet soda and then snacked when we got home. He's such a good Do Bee!

The Big Y wants you to pay $20 a year for their Silver Card so you will no longer have to carry the coins with you. I refused to pay so I've been carrying the coins. A couple of weeks ago I noticed their sign which said free Silver Card for life if you're over 65. What the heck, I asked the cashier to sign me up. When I got home and checked my receipt she had charged me $20!!! So I figured I had miss read the sign but decided to keep it since it was lifetime Silver! Okay, here's the kicker. It was supposed to be free and this past week my $20 bill was returned to me and they apologized profusely. That was pretty nice.

Not much going on with this heat wave but I do have to catch up on my exercises! We went to the Coast Guard Academy yesterday afternoon for a free band concert; lots of people in cool pleasant Leamy Hall. The first half of the concert was great: some John Philip Sousa, surprisingly good Leonard Berstein, Zez Confrey, Anthony O'Toole (written for tuba,) Aaron Copeland (passing good) and the Service Medley (Grampa wouldn't stand with other Army veterans when they played The Caissons go rolling along!) The second half the conductor thought he should explain the opening piece. Big mistake! It was John Williams of movie score fame's A Nostalgic Jazz Odyssey. The entire long piece sounded like a Middle School band warming up before a concert! The saving grace for the second half was the Dixieland Jazz Band. All in all it was a pleasant way to spend the afternoon.

Quote:  Would that we could at once paint with the eyes! __In the long way from the eye, through the arm, to the pencil, how much is lost!   ____Lessing

No comments: