Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Jogged loose . . .

I remember Mama needing some time away from us kids so she would pack all six of us off, hot weather or cold, to walk up to Gibson's Corner. She would watch from the porch to make sure we didn't cheat and turn around about half way! Memory is hazy but I can imagine that we had little Louise in a doll stroller with David and Pauline riding herd on Rose, Joe and me! By the time we made it to Gibson's we had probably picked up a half dozen more kids, all sizes and shapes and so at least a dozen kids made the trek back home where we were probably given fresh lemonade or hot chocolate for the whole gang. Louise was probably allowed in the house to take a nap and the rest of us played outside; cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, scrub, swinging, knife throwing, whittling.
(The lemonade would have been made with fresh lemons and the hot chocolate from squares of bitter chocolate.  Proustian me is savoring the fragrances and tastes.)

It's amazing that this all came back to me because Grampa needed me to hold a board up in the small bedroom as he was putting up new molding and the old, incredibly crumbly walls became visible. Somehow it conjured up my golden days.  Imagine the old days this house has seen. . .

Had to leave my ramblings for nigh on 18 hours!  Kiddo called yesterday, with permission from his folks, to see if I would come and stay with him for the afternoon.  He decided he didn't want to go to Rec because his Dad got some new DJ stuff and he needed to check it out.  After checking it out he got bored and needed his Memere to distract him!! I found him playing pool and quite contented that I had come we were off and playing water basketball in a jiffy.  Naturally I stayed until about 9:15 and he had to fulfill his contract and read for me.  Poor kid.  I'm just merciless! We did have a very good day.  I was impressed at his desire to win at Guitar Hero.  He hadn't taken that out in at least a couple of years.  I watched him perform for close to an hour and a half. Almost ready to be a head banger! It was interesting, though. Can't believe what goes for music or I should say what was called music in the 70's and 80's.  No wonder we're all deaf and dumb!

Quote:  Idleness is the burial of a living man.    ____Jeremy Taylor

No comments: