Sunday, October 22, 2017

À la recherche de mon enfance . . .


I really wanted to put A la recherche du temps perdu because that is one of my favorite books but that would be stealing! I should reread Marcel Proust in French because that's the only way to appreciate the beauty of his evocative prose - it's more than poetry, more than art. It grabs you and won't let go. Even after all these years I still feel the sensations recalling at will his written images. Perhaps that is why all sorts of memories keep flooding my brain. One of P&D's Pop's friends and his wife stopped in last week and she always marvels at the little tatted bureau scarves ( don't know what else to call them) on the marble counter. I showed her the wonderful picture my Pépère made for me when I was about five years old and she was amazed. I explained to Cathy that I believe the reason I feel so comfortable and at home in Louisiana is because I brought all of my old stuff with me! ( even P&D's Pop!) I remember Pépé using a drawing from a coloring book to make the design on a piece of cloth and then he embroidered the outlines of the bears and used water colors from our kids' paint set to put in some color. I may have already spoken of this but he also made me a stuffed camel. He drew the camel that was on his cigarette pack onto some cardboard and then wrapped it in brown string and yarn. It even had eyes, a nose and a saddle! How I wish my older sister had also managed to find that too. I think I may have worn it out! She sent me the picture along with Pépé's clock when my older brother was visiting her and he brought it to Moosup for me. Well, I call it Pépé's clock but it may have been my mother's! All I know is that I do not like the sound of clocks ticking but we have the clock right here in the living room as I type and I can't hear it but it is working! I grew up with it for so many years that it doesn't bother me. I'm sure I'd miss it now that P&D's Pop has it working so well. It is the only clock in the whole wide world that ticks and I don't notice it. If I hear ticking clocks I want to silence them even if it means smashing them. That's how strong my dislike is for listening to time marching on!


2 comments:

Nan said...

sweet!

Qu'que chose said...

Moosup memories are the best!