Friday, April 5, 2013

Quiet times . . .

I just really like them and miss the pink one! Damn.
Nothing special going on this week but a pleasant week in this cool start to April. I cleaned out some dead leaves up on the hill so I could uncover the poor daffodils I threw up there in disgust some years ago. I was itchy to go for a ride somewhere and since I know that Puppies and Dante's Pop can always find something at a hobby shop we set off for Sturbridge and Hog Heaven. Before we left I looked up antique shops in the vicinity and came up with a couple that were on the same road as the hobby shop. I'm determined to fine a matching pink bud vase for the beautiful blue and yellow vases that were Mémère Caron's. There was a pink one here when we came in 1969 but it was broken and the patch looked ugly so I discarded it. What a dumb bell I can be. I really missed the darned pink vase and now I'm just slightly obsessed with finding one. We stopped at the YankeePeddlar, a long, two story, ancient building near Hog Heaven and found more junk than anyone has a right to own! Mon doux seigneur! It was outrageous but we did walk around and bump into things, all sorts of things. I was almost overwhelmed with grief that there was so much piddly crap in existence! These were not antiques but junk and reproduction junk and garbage ( prononcé en français, bien sur!) So we left there in amazed silence and proceeded to the hobby shop where we bought a couple of spinners. On the way back we stopped near the entrance to Sturbridge Village and went to a real, honest to goodness, very expensive high end antique store! What a snob I am! We walked around and found some pink hob nail vases but none to my specifications. The store is so beautifully set up that we enjoyed looking at all of the odds and ends. Even though we have gotten rid of a lot of "stuff" in this old house of ours we still have crocks, statues, photos, dishes that are worth something but I can't part with them. I still feel very attached to certain pieces because I know that our forebearers held these lovely things and used them in their daily lives. Just plain neat to know that some of the old ways are still with us. Very comforting. I imagine that they will be consigned to a junk pile someday but for now they are a part of our daily lives and I like them. The future is immaterial; the past remains in whatever pleasant thoughts I assign to it and the present is now for us to enjoy. Neato! That being said I have a $12 bid on  eBay for my pink bud vase! Modern marvels are fun!

Had lunch with younger sister at Meadowbrook Rehabilitation Center. We sent out for pizza and cake and played cribbage. I think I tired her out so left a bit earlier than usual. She looks fine and is working hard on getting her stamina back. Hoping she will be home in a week or so but the time doesn't matter. Getting stronger is what's important and she's a trooper and will continue to work on it. Haven't made an official date for next week; we'll play it by ear. Her surroundings are very pleasant. Lots a beautiful, sunny windows with views of Granby farmland, at least on her side of the building!

Grampa and I went for a walk up the street when I got back home and after the walk I was sitting on my swing relaxing with Grampa having a beer at the picnic table when a car pulled up in the driveway.  Wonder of wonders my Church Street cousin and his wife stopped in for a visit! It was so nice to speak with them. They came in and L. had a beer and E. and I had some white wine. He offered me some dahlias but if I take them I'm going to insist he give me some of his rebar so I can stake them properly! He may not want to share his rebar! They look great. Their oldest son is a vice president for Novartis and is in India at this time. He was home for Easter. Their younger son is still in Texas with a home in San Diego also. I don't think they have gone to Sweden in quite sometime but do go out to California.

Puppies and Dante's Pop is off to the flying field and I must get ready to head out to Groton.

Quote:  Recollection is the only paradise from which we cannot be turned out.   ___Richter

No comments: