Thursday, June 2, 2016

Good day . . .




We went to South Park as usual and I wasn't going to lug my camera around as I walked because it was really sticky humid but I lugged it. I was rewarded with a few good photos of the Red-headed Woodpecker, a Brown Thrasher and a fat frog. The fat frog seems incongruous with the birds but just as the birds' songs float out over the park the frogs are often croaking their own tunes. It's almost noisy sometimes - well, you can't call it noise it's just nature's music which can be surprisingly loud.

When we returned I got caught up with a few odds and ends before heading out to visit with southern daughter, big Kiddo's wife, who recently underwent shoulder surgery. She will be in a sling for six weeks so I thought a helping hand would do us both some good. It was neat because I got a chance to help with the cooking. I've never seen chicken fried steak cooked at home before but that's what we made. She beat the heck out of the beef and I sliced it and shook it up in seasoned flour before M. fried it up - smelled so good. I also helped to cut up the potatoes for roasting and M. did the seasoning. That also smelled great. I never have really roasted potatoes because I'm a lazy cook but I think I may try both of today's recipes. Son arrived home earlier than expected so I took off for home. Glad I did because I hit some rain in Central, not too bad but after I got home the heavens opened up and it poured buckets. Had some thunder and lightning too right overhead and then it was all gone. I was amazed at how hard the rain falls down here in Denham Springs. With our tin roof it is nice to listen to the drumming when we sit out on the back porch. It also cooled us off a bit.

I was also impressed today by the kill-the-mosquitos machine our son has in his front yard. Not quite sure how it works but it has a continuously running propane tank that somehow attracts the damned mosquitoes to a container so they can't reproduce and I suppose that if they die there that does the trick! It seems that in about a month's time there will be no more mosquitos in their yard. I do believe they will have to run the contraption for the entire summer just to be safe. Fingers crossed. We really haven't had any mosquito encounters yet but we're generally not out for long in the evenings so they may be here but we're not outside!

Got a call yesterday evening from Dr. Mandy Erwin's Office telling me that my iron levels are very low  - a 10 where I should be a 13. So I've started taking an iron supplement. I've been really slow and dull lately so it could be that I will perk up with the iron. Haven't been tested for that in umpteen years! I was anemic for awhile when I was in my teens but that's ages ago. So perhaps this will work and  I'll get all my pep back!  Yay!

To top off yesterday's news P&D's Pop has decided he needs to go back to mowing the lawn. I am not pleased but I suppose if he needs to do something it might as well be the lawn. I really wish he'd let the man I hired do it because then, selfish as I am, I won't have to try to keep up with the trim.  I can do it but my body doesn't like it and in this heat neither do I!  We'll see if he perseveres. I don't want him to get hurt again but he says he has it under control. Phooey is what I say, phooey.

Quote:  The wavering mind is but a base possession.   ____Euripides

No comments: