Tuesday, June 21, 2016

It's been interesting . . .


I've spent today and yesterday helping out with snacks at Immaculate Conception Summer Bible School. We have about 87 kiddos from Kindergarten to Fifth Grade and it's working out very well. I've also met Nick who is the young man in the confirmation class who is in charge but not in charge. I have to be careful not to take away his quasi authority. The school wants their big kids to learn how to help out with all aspects of Bible School but an adult must be present at all times - so, I'm Nick's adult! He won't be there tomorrow and neither will I. I'm sure they'll make do without us. I have a good excuse; I'll be helping my daughter-in-law with her foster grand kids but Nick will be in court with his Dad! Seems he was driving 84 mph in a 55 mph zone. Not a good thing. It'll be interesting to see if he'll be driving himself to school Thursday when we both resume our duties. He's only had his license for about 8 months!

Our crepe myrtles along the fence are finally starting to bloom. I'm so glad that they are all going to be shades of pink. The white ones are really too plain for my taste. I'm also looking at queen sized beds because I think we'll break down and buy a queen bed for the quest bedroom rather than the full we have now. This way when youngest child comes to visit we'll have better accommodations. I have to look into it more. Have no idea anymore about costs of anything. We haven't bought a new bed in about 50 years - mattresses, yes, but not a new bed. We have the time to look around and get something we like but isn't outrageously fancy. I still tend to like early American, if that even exists anymore, Danish, or Mission type, plain wooden pieces. I don't even know the names of the different types of furniture! I don't expect to buy a set either, just a bed and an excellent mattress and box spring - not sure they even sell box springs anymore! I don't want all sorts of newfangled number beds, or trampoline-cushion-entire-family-with-animals-included-bed. Just a perfect queen with a perfect mattress that will never need replacing!

Waiting for the One Hour air conditioning technician to come and get his check before I start exercising in the house. I don't want to scare him! We are going to pay about $250 a year to make sure they are always on call to fix anything that may go wrong. I think we could go without heat in the winter but never without air in the summertime. There is nothing wrong with our unit but some parts of it are almost 20 years old so we certainly don't need to take any chances.

Quote:  As are families, so is society. __If well ordered, well instructed, and well governed, they are the springs from which go forth the streams of national greatness and prosperity - of civil order and public happiness.   ____Thayer

No comments: