Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Just had to do it . . .

Only one of the many shots I took.  Can't come close to the reality of that evening sky.
When I returned from my new bra fitting session Monday for some insane reason I decided I should be rewarded with lunch at the Red Boot Deli in Clinton and I'm happy to say that P&D's Pop concurred even though we had eaten at Walk Ons with Big Kiddo and his wife Saturday after seeing Free State of Jones. We took some new roads to Clinton and I was again impressed with the beauty of the land here. A few of the roads were pretty rutted but still 55 mph speed limit! So bumping and cruising along as we passed ranches, farms, horses, cows gorgeous properties, hovels we arrived at the Red Boot in about an hour. We shared our favorite Muffaletta with chips and this time also shared a beefy tomato and pepper soup. We managed to eat it all which was a good thing because we still had leftovers we had to eat for supper! But I think the real reason I wanted to go to Clinton was to walk around and look at where the Free State of Jones was filmed. Most of the scenes that took place in a small town were filmed right on Main Street just down the street from the Red Boot. So after lunch we walked down the street so I could see all the work that had been done to turn Clinton into a Mississippi town during the Civil War. Really a very neat experience because we were in Clinton last year when they were building and remodeling the store fronts for the movie.

Have had a few more cool experiences yesterday too. I haven't been able to go to the flying fields with P&D's Pop for over a week because I was helping out at Bible School so yesterday I got a chance to go to Walker to get my daily walking in. Well, wouldn't you know a great egret decided to hang around the fishing pond and I got some pretty good photos and to top it off last evening I was on my porch swing after the thunderstorm and a rainbow popped up in the East. I ran to get my camera and was taking pictures of the rainbow when Grampa came out and advised me to turn around. I turned around and the most vibrant sunset I've ever seen was in the western sky. I couldn't stop snapping. I've seen glorious sunsets in Connecticut but never like the sunsets here. I think that the huge 3D clouds coming up from the gulf add to the beauty of the setting and rising sun.

And . . . I have also learned that walking barefoot on a cement driveway at this time of year is asking to get burned! Wow, impressive heat coming into your feet; it's like walking on a cookie sheet that has just come out of the oven. I already knew better than to go barefoot on the grass because of the fire ants and I do remember the hot tar in Moosup but this surprised me because the driveway is kinda whitish.

On a somber note I was appalled once again about the Islamic jihad at Ataturk Airport in Istanbul but I was downright scared for our Seattle nephew, his wife and two little ones who had just flown to Turkey to visit her father. Fortunately they landed in Izmir the night before the attack and will leave from there next week to go to Germany before getting on a plane back to the USA. Life is to be lived to the fullest and I don't want to get paranoid about flying, airports, theatres, malls, hotels, churches but the world is a tough place when no Western countries will try to stem the tide of the Islamic Barbarians who refuse to live in the twenty first century. They must be wiped out. Satan is in his glory.

Quote:  There are thousands hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.   ___Thoreau

No comments: