Monday, July 23, 2018

It's too damned hot . . .

What the heck?
 I guess when you move to Louisiana you should expect hot but today really took the cake and I don't think the heat wave is even close to ending! It is 98 degrees. I refuse to look at the thermometer until this evening when I hope we'll at least get back into the 80's.

We had a great time yesterday when we brought Puppy back home and Big Kiddo and his wife fried the catfish they had caught when they were camping in Arkansas. It was the best. They really know how to make it so good that I, who doesn't usually like fish, love it. They also fry up some mean french fries and make homemade tartar sauce.  What more could you ask for? I made sure I was famished before we left our home so I put away a lot of fish!

I can't believe that P&D's Pop was out mowing at a little after 6am this morning; I went for my walk at 6:30 and it was already over 80. When I finished my walk I fed the birds and used out new little electric blower to clean off the porch and driveway.  Wow, we both headed for the showers! Anyway the yard looks great and I'll water my flowers this evening when it'll still be over 90 I'm sure! I've planted some cantaloupe and peas in my grow pots and they seem to be doing okay.  I don't expect them to produce until fall so it'll be interesting to see if we have a decent crop! I'm not at all accustomed to the growing season down here. It's pretty mixed up!

 We went to Barnes & Noble to get P&D's Pop some more Tolkien.  He just finished the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and liked them. It's so hot that he is spending part of the day inside reading! We also ended up having breakfast for lunch at La Madelaine a really nice place right next door to the book store.  I like to go there when I venture into Baton Rouge on my own for doctors' appointments but it's even better when I have his company.  I was able to replenish my supply of nice greeting cards too. That's a plus. I don't have to spend the money ordering them on line. CVS carries some good cards but not the fancier ones that I prefer.

I expect to hear from a gentleman who works for the Burden Museum and Gardens  in Baton Rouge. I'm hoping he may be interested in the old books, photos and cloth that I brought from our Caron Homestead in Moosup, CT. It would be nice if they could use some of it at the Museum. I really hope the museum follows through on the contact. I've found that a lot of people say they'll do something and then nothing happens.  That seems to happen in Louisiana a lot.  Just read the papers and see how lax we are about everything down here!! I don't think that that's a bum rap either!

Quote:  He who would fight the devil with his own weapons, must not wonder if he finds him an overmatch.   ____South

No comments: