Sunday, July 22, 2012

And the cup over floweth . .


Very interesting days. Thunder storms cleaned up the heavy, humid air and we are living in a bit of paradise. Drove to Bolton Lake Thursday to visit older brother, his wife, their oldest son and had a treat. Jack and his wife also came for a visit. Went to UCONN with Jack so it was nice to meet his German wife and get caught up on the almost 50 years that have passed. What an incredible number is 50. Impossible to sense that those years have already passed by. It was really just yesterday. But life has been and is very good for all and sundry. Just have to take each day and run with it. Oh yes, thinking of running, I ran into a State Trooper who thought I was going 16 miles per hour over the posted speed limit on a short section of Route 6. I paid a $92 tax for his leniency. Que sera sera. No need for details. I am a chastened woman and shall do my damnedest to remain so. But it is certainly annoying to follow someone who is doing the speed limit and I'm certain to have teed off many drivers as I try to be a responsible citizen of the great state of Connecticut.
Friday was Kiddo time and rainy, as the weather was starting to clear we spent time NASCAR racing with slot cars and playing Wii sports resort. Finally managed to get outdoors for some badminton and basketball. Grampa brought him home Saturday morning in the Dodge because I had a date with cousin Susan. On their way to Groton they met all sorts of horrible situations. On Starkweather there were three young lady joggers running two abreast and then a singleton who wouldn't get out of the road on a sharp curve when a car came screaming around the curve heading toward Moosup. Grampa said it was a very close call. Anyone who jogs on Starkweather is nuts but two abreast and unwilling to move over is suicide. Then in Norwich he and Kiddo saw the results of a fatal crash in the northbound lane of 395 which caused rubber necking in their southbound lanes when some yahoo decided to stop in the left southbound lane, cut across the right lane, run over the curb and grass to jump onto the exit he had missed! Needless to say Grampa did not come all the way back home on 395. There are some very dangerous drivers out there and believe it or not I'm not one of them. Defensive driving is the only way to drive and you can still get caught up in a mess. We may be forced to drive Route 12 shortly because 395 is going to be torn apart in time for elections! Probably a good idea anyhoo.

The best show I've seen in my short existence is the Pirates of Penzance. Susan and I went to the matinee yesterday. The great comedic story, the wonderful music, the outstanding voices, actors, musicians and production staff at the Connecticut Rep at the Jorgensen little theatre were superb. I am always impressed with live entertainment even if a show isn't great. So this one just bowled me over with its zest for life. We couldn't clap them into an encore. I hated to leave the theatre but we finally exited and went for supper at Sara's Pockets a small restaurant on North Eagleville Road (five tables and you have to climb two flights of stairs to get there!) The food was so delicious and Susan who knows Lebanese food very well gave it two thumbs up. I'll have to see if Puppy's Pop will take a ride to the Storrs Campus for lunch or supper one of these fine days. On top of all of that fun we had time to drive around campus and find all of the sports complexes. Wow, what a monster rich campus!
Quote: Clouds - That looked as though an angel, in his upward flight, had left his mantle floating in mid-air.__Joanna Baillie

2 comments:

2Evil4U said...

Keep it at limit +9 or less and you'll be fine. I generally run limit -5 to and from work. I stay in the right lane out of the way. People can figure out how to pass. Go slow and watch the dummies fade away in front of you, brakelights flashing like strobes as they fight for every last micro-second.

Qu'que chose said...

That's how I do drive! I was stupid and didn't realize the limit had changed to 40 from 50. I have real trouble driving below speed limits unless it's raining or snowing! But I'm sure my mpg would be better than they are now and we're still averaging over 35.