Sunday, April 6, 2014

Hypercritical . . . gotta stop . . .

Delphic Sibyl - Sistine Chapel  ( Recently finished reading Irving Stone's The Agony and the Ecstasy about the life of Michelangelo Buonarotti.)
Good gravy . . . went to 9:15 Mass and was so turned off by the visiting priest.  He's been around for a long time, even stayed in our parish some years ago but his simpleness drove me crazy then and it still drives me nuts. I know he means well but he reads the gospel and explains it in his own words to bring it down to our level. Oh lordy . . . drives me off the deep end. I really wish we had a good preacher here once in a while.  This priest is here to run a mission for the week; there were more people than usual at this kids' Mass so I'm assuming they came because of him.  He preaches to the kids the same way he preaches to adults - as if we're a bunch of simpletons.  It's probably just me - I want more than nice, made up, over simplified, cute, stereotypical stories to show me the way. It doesn't help that I'm reading a novel, Morte d'Urban about a priest back in the 1930's out in Minnesota. I'm having trouble figuring out if being a priest means being simple. That cannot be.  I guess they're just plain ordinary human beings with all of our human failings so I should stop being so tedious in complaining about them. I should think more about shaping my own strategies for living a good, calm, helpful, loving, working, appreciating, understanding, peaceful yet unaccommodating of evil life. Let's see where that get me!

It's a beautiful day; bright sunshine; sunny skies; UCONN men are going on the the Championship; the women are playing tonight; P&D's Pop is flying after cleaning up the bathroom for me while I was at Mass.  So all in all life is just fine.  Gotta relax and go with the ebb tide; catch up on my reading; exercise; work on my minute mini-cross stitch; rake some leaves etc. Okay feeling better after that tirade.

Quote:  They only babble who practise not reflection. -- I shall think; and thought is silence.   ___Sheridan   (Need to practice this.)

No comments: