Friday, April 18, 2014

Yesterday with the ancient oak in Granby . . .

Easter 2014
No the ancient oak is not my sister rather an old monster of a tree that we came upon pretty much by accident.  We had to stop for some odds and ends at a family run pharmacy and I saw some pictures of the oak on cards they had for sale at the check out. We asked about the oak and were given directions by several clerks and customers so off we went.  It is an incredibly large oak in circumference and its branches are huge quite a few touching the ground and seemingly growing from the ground.  It looks like it has suffered through many cataclysmic events.  I plan to go back with my camera to see if I can get any good shots but it is so massive and so close to a winding, hilly, rather narrow road that I'm not sure I'll be able to figure out how to photograph it in its awesome, fearsome ancient beauty. I would like to get photos through the seasons just as Monet painted Notre Dame at different times and seasons. I was surprised to see this tree in Connecticut.  It reminds me of the marvelous live oaks we've seen in Louisiana.  It doesn't look as if anyone is working to preserve it.  It is our understanding that the tree was hit by a truck and damaged during the freak October snow storm.  Seems to me that it needs some dead wood removed so it can save its energy and remain whole and healthy.  Of course I know nothing about these things.  I shall look it up.  Perhaps there is already a committee somewhere that is keeping tabs on it.

After we tracked down the Granby Oak we made our way to Granville, MA and The Scoop.  The ice cream shop had just opened Saturday so we lucked out. Had a chance to sit a while and watch the donkeys, sweet new goats and llamas. Very nice. P&D's Pop and I took a ride to Mystic this morning and ordered a new triple spinner at the kite store.  Hope he doesn't forget to order it. The owner is very disorganized - I mean very, very disorganized. I should take a photo of the inside of his tiny shop. There is no room to walk around. There are kites and spinners open and hanging everywhere plus you come very close to stepping on some. To take my name and number he handed me a wrinkled envelope! We shall see if he remembers me when he places his order in the next couple of weeks if the salesman actually returns - seems he hasn't been seen in a while.  Gee, perhaps he's under a pile of spinners in the back of the shop? Didn't dare to ask. Last time I ordered from the shop he had a young college student working for him and he was somewhat organized. He doesn't even know what his inventory is!

 On the way home we stopped for lunch at Buono Appetito on Route 2 going towards Foxwoods.  It's a new building that is taking the place of the old Dew Drop Inn.  It was surprisingly fine.  We just had chowder, a hamburger with fries and they also brought out their home made focaccia with dipping oil which was delicious. Could have been an expensive lunch but we only had water and got away with $18 minus the tip. Not bad.

Will pick up the chocolate cake at Gregg's tomorrow and then the prime rib at Big Y as we get ready to celebrate Easter. Doesn't feel like Easter.  Not sure why. I know it's Good Friday.  Perhaps I'll try to find the link to a rather good rendition of a pop hit Hallelujah whose words were rewritten telling the Easter story. It is beautifully sung. I think either link, at the top or the bottom of this page will get you to the song.

Quote:  The soul's calm sunshine, and the heartfelt joy.   ___Pope

For Easter

No comments: