Sunday, April 27, 2014

Odd weather day . . .

What a sweet face.
After breakfast this morning we were going to go to Epping, NH for opening day of Dragstrip but the weather seemed a little iffy so I checked on line.  The races were called off because of the lousy, rainy forecast. So I went to the last Children's Mass of this school year at 9:15.  From now until October I'll have to settle for the 11 am Mass. I found that I prefer the earlier Mass because it seems to give me a longer day and I get more done!  But 11 am it'll have to be.

Spent much of the day getting caught up on reading my National Reviews and the Bulletin before P&D's Pop asked if I wanted to go for a ride.  So we took a nice ride to We-Lik-It in Abington to get some ice cream.  It's really a pretty ride up Route 69 to Route 44 and then 97 to Abington.  There was no one there when we arrived but they streamed in as we were getting ready to leave.  Visited with a couple of burros and two comely long-haired goats (angora?) We were a bit disappointed with the ice cream.  The chocolate wasn't really chocolaty - how can you mess with chocolate?  Behind the store we could see a maple grove and the trees were all connected with tubing that ran to an evaporator.  Pretty neat.  Of course it is no longer working.

It's been a very cloudy day but not too much rain until we decided to go to the flying field after we returned from Abington.  We only got as far as PHS when the heavens opened and a deluge ensued. Of course we turned around and came home.  The sun came out ten minutes later!  Ah, the vagaries of Connecticut politics showing up in Mother Nature's cruelty.

We had lunch Saturday at the Roadside Diner and I admired a neat mug on one of the shelves.  I really couldn't get over the giraffe mug; it was Trish's personal coffee mug so she took it down to show it to me; then she gave it to me. That was really such a nice thing for her to do.  I will bring her a Thank You note Tuesday morning but it can't really express how happy I am with the mug. It makes me smile.

Kiddo, Grampa and I went to Porter Pond Friday evening and he was so thrilled.  Grampa had a good bite on his line but couldn't snag the fish.  But the Kid got so excited when he got a bite and it stayed hooked.  He had some fun reeling in a 16" Pickerel that weighed about a pound.  Grampa unhooked it and threw it back for him.  He was not ready to leave after that so he kept fishing and in a little while he hooked another Pickerel, this one was about 20 inches long.  He had to fight a little to bring it in.  Again Grampa released it to the wild and Kiddo was so hopped up we had to stay for another half hour to see if he could hook another one! While watching the guys fishing I saw a blue heron across the Pond fishing next to shore. I was supposed to bring the camera but, naturellement, I forgot.  Darn . . . there were some beautiful sights as the sun was setting on the water. Kiddo wanted to go fishing again the next morning but it rained quite hard all day so that was nixed. Did get my concert though he was not too excited about that!


Quote:   Life is made up, not of great sacrifices or duties, but of little things, in which smiles and kindness and small obligations, given habitually, are what win and preserve the heart and secure comfort.   ___Sir H. Davy

No comments: