Thursday, July 14, 2016

Had a good laugh this morning . . .

Yesterday evening - wires and all!
Was asked to help out with a bunch of more or less five year olds at Immaculate Conception Early Learning Center and one of the boys looked me right in the eye, I was stooping to help him copy the names of the planets, and asked me " Are you a grandma teacher?" I said, "No, I'm just a grandma helper but you may call me Miss Irène or Mrs. Rose." We were on the playground for what seemed to be hours in the sweaty, humid, hot air and he sought me out as I stood in a shady corner watching the kids play and said, "Hey Grandma, whatcha doin'?" I had to laugh out loud. He stayed with me and a few more kiddos came for a discussion of bad bugs and bats that drink your blood. We finally ended up with a few rounds of Old McDonald, so off key it was great. I never knew music could be so harsh and fun. After lunch the kids slowed down and snoozed or watched a video so I scooted home because the big black clouds and pretty strong winds were swirling in the tree tops. So far it seems that I'm most helpful from 10 - about 12:30 and then the classes rest for an hour or more each day. Most of the teachers don't seem to know what to do with me or are not sure what I am capable of so I just do the best I can to help the slower kids to get their projects completed or just stroll around the room keeping an eye out for recalcitrant little devils. I was told by a floater (paid helper) that three year old girls are mean and will ostracize another little girl out of sheer cruelty - liking to hurt someone. I believe it. I still maintain that children are little animals and they must be tamed. Really can't wait too long either because I do believe what my father told me. He said you've only got until they're seven years old to form good habits in them after that it's too late. I think he was correct and we have certainly missed the boat with the last generation so we'd better get going on this bunch or there will never again be people old enough to remind the schools and parents what their jobs are!

P&D's Pop brought me to Still Me on O'Neal Drive in Baton Rouge off of I 12 to pick up my new bras which had to be ordered.  Miss Alice has been the best person I've dealt with getting fitted properly and because of all of the ignorant people bussed into Baton Rouge in the wake of the latest turmoil I was a little concerned. No need for any concern whatsoever. Alice was her same wonderful, warm hearted efficient self. People are people and must be treated as if they were your alter ego. I do believe in the biblical teaching, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Not sure if that is the correct quote but it is very meaningful if you take it to heart. I'm starting to sound like a preacher but I think that's because I use my blog to help straighten out all sorts of questions and problems by writing for myself. I think it helps me even when my thoughts are all jumbled. I'll never come up with definitive answers for anyone else but that's not my goal. I'm just trying to cope with my life and keep myself on the straight and narrow path to wisdom, kindness, love and understanding. It is a lot of work at times.

Grampa went flying very early this morning in Walker. I suggested we get our fishing licenses because there are ponds in just about every park in Livingston and East Baton Rouge parishes. I didn't go with him because I don't like to get all sweaty walking before I go to the Early Learning Center but I still go the other days if the weather permits him to fly. It's been touch and go lately because the grass is sometime too long for the planes!

Took a break:  We just returned from Bass Pro where we paid $10 for the both of us to get our fishing and hunting licenses plus free deer tags.  Wow, I've never had a hunting license before.  This is kinda cool.  I would never hunt for food except if armageddon strikes but it's neat that I have the permission to hunt.  We live in a different world from Connecticut. To celebrate our new licenses we went to the Longhorn Steakhouse for a couple of Buds, a Perfect Margarita and Wild West Shrimp.  Superior day.

Quote:  To despise our own species is the price we must often pay for a knowledge of it.    ____Colton

1 comment:

Nathalie said...

You go girl!