Sunday, July 10, 2016

The Good Samaritan . . .

After the rain last night
Today at Mass Father Amal Raj spoke of the Good Samaritan; the timing is perfect. The Good Samaritan treated people as neighbors with kindness and compassion. When treated with kindness and compassion even the blind can see and the deaf can hear. It is true that there are people who will refuse to be helped but we must at least try to beam a bit of light and love into the many lost souls who are taught to be evil - the evil in men is created by man and only men can correct the evil we have allowed to fester through the years. False religions abound so I am doubtful that religion is the answer. But certainly people who have been taught self control, goodness, kindness and compassion while instilling in all children self respect, self reliance and an acceptance of imperfection can go on to live helpful, meaningful lives which they can share with others. I don't think anything can be worse then pure hatred; it is a bad seed growing wild and covering this planet earth. Like my Petit Prince we must work at keeping the baobabs under control. It is a very difficult job and not appreciated by those in need of calming, warming love that teaches us to control our base impulses. We can spread this desire to live a good wholesome life when we dare to look with a clear, respectful yet piercing gaze into the burning eyes of the hellish souls of the hateful. There will be bitterness and non-acceptance but we must keep on trying to act in good faith to all peoples. And yes, we must accept that we will not change all the mean, nasty, cowardly persons who seek to destroy what they envy but we must still act as decent human beings and by our actions show what it's like to be a Good Samaritan. We will fail often but it is no reason to give up. We can only work in our own sphere but a little at a time perhaps good can overcome evil.

Yes, I'm still stuck in what is happening in my new home state of Louisiana. After Mass this morning I did take a special card that was offered to all of us in church. It is called Shield a Badge With Prayer and the names of the 35 police officers from Denham Springs are listed with one of them highlighted so we can hone in on a particular officer. I'm not a very strong believer in the power of prayers said by billions of people in the world praying because it seems to me that if God hears one prayer for one human being He can act without the other 999,999,999,999. I am not overly religious but I do quietly believe that if I ask my deceased forefathers and friends to give all of us the strength to to what we must do in our lives that is probably the best prayer can do. They live within our hearts and immortal souls.  I always ask the Lord to help us each day to have the strength to do what must be done. I don't believe God controls our destiny. He has set creation in motion and I think we are to fend for ourselves. Was the God who made the universe good and the God who made man evil? Is there an eternal struggle between the God of Good and the God of Evil? I wish I felt confident in the power of the God of Abraham but I seem to have to go to Him through intermediaries, my mother, my father, little Louise, Pépé Bonnin, MaTante Rose, Gram, Angie and Mary, his mother. I know that they were all good teachers and loving parents and friends so I am not concerned about death since I believe that my children and perhaps a few relatives and friends will remember that I may have done just a bit of good in their lives and my love for them is boundless. Perhaps remembrance is heaven.

Here I am rambling on once again with my doubts. The prayer written on the back of the card for the Denham Springs police says, " Lord God, keep us 'alert, strong in faith, and courageous' as we lead in love." 1 Cor. 16:13. Their names are legion but I will enumerate them:  Shannon, Patrick, Tommy, Gerald, James,  Clay, Paul G. Paul S. Rodney, Larian, Clifton, Marty Landon, Steven, Bert, Keith, Glenn, Brien, Jimson, Bailey, Wesley, Brett, Eddie, Scott, Amber, David, Halie, Michael, Daniel, Brent, Justin, Brian, Junior, Ben Leroy. Sometimes on Tuesday mornings P&D's Pop and I see about 12 of these young officers at IHOP.  They always make me smile when I see them having a good time before or perhaps after their shifts.

Took a dry run to Baton Rouge Airport today and stopped at P Beau'shttp://www.p-beaus.com/main/home  for brunch.  Good stuff! We'll have to bring Big Kiddo and his wife there one week end.

Quote:  The greatest prayer is patience.  ____Buddha

No comments: