Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Food Problems


Middle child got a hold of Hooked on Phonics and grandson is now reading. Of course it's just the beginning but he's pretty proud of himself. I love it! It seems he's also beat her at Junior Monopoly and she was trying to win! Wants to teach him how to lose gracefully! Good luck. Speaking of games; at the party Sunday one of our nephews who lives in Plainfield brought his wife (who works in engineering for the Mashentuckets) and two kids plus 4 Hasbro Lazer Guns. On my goodness you should have seen all of the kids going nuts playing tag. They had the best time ever.

A few weeks ago I was able to buy some beautiful native peaches. I let them ripen a bit more for a couple of days and then peeled and sliced them up and covered them with home made raspberry sauce. It was the most delicious desert and Grampa eschewed my wonderful concoction. I quit! But I did eat it all, all by myself. (I've been dying to use the word eschewed and finally was able to so! Hip! Hip!)

Last evening friends who own the car parts store came by and brought us some more shagbarks, all shucked this time. Puppy's Pop and I started to put them out to dry up more in the sun on a picnic table. Since I love the things I started to crack some open. Out of about fifty nuts Puppy's Pop could only find 2 that were good. They were black and horrible tasting. So we had to throw all of them in the woods (pun unintended) and I had to call and let our friends know the truth about their gift. That was a lot of work shucking a big bag of nuts. I felt badly about it. Perhaps the nuts got too much rain, like the Tamaracks and so it's a bad year for the trees. I was going to crack a whole bunch of them and put them in maple syrup. Dommage! C'est la vie!

Quote: There is no right without a parallel duty, no liberty without the supremacy of the law, no high destiny without earnest perseverance, no greatness without self-denial. -- Lieber

No comments: