Sunday, October 30, 2016

Almost spectacular gumbo à l'Irène . . .

So bright
P&D's Pop and I were given some venison by the neighbor across the corner from us and although I had mixed feelings about accepting it, because I know nothing about cooking venison and the little I've eaten I really didn't like, this was great. He gave us 4 big Cajun Sausages, two packages of Spicy Sausage and two packages of Bacon Burger. So yesterday I used my friendly Zatarain's helper and made chicken and sausage gumbo which turned out really fine. Son and his wife came for supper and she told me that most gumbo is served with extra rice so I made up a fresh batch of jasmine rice which is delicious in and of itself. We also had my Sally Lunn bread, plain salad and chocolate pudding à la Jello. I was impressed with the Cajun Sausage. It was seasoned to perfection. Ron said he has his venison prepared with some pork added and the flavor was nice. So if I get offered some more I'll take it. I must remember to tell him how good it was if and when I see him. We don't see too many people every day because most of the households here are younger people and they're all off working and on weekends they are hunting or at their camps!

We went to El Agave for lunch today and the food was very good but the best was last. P&D's Pop, Big Kiddo and myself shared fried ice cream for dessert. It was the best ever. I couldn't believe how much the guys helped me to eat it! I was hoping they were too full to help me out that much. But that was a good thing as I didn't pile on the calories but I must admit I could have eaten the whole thing myself!

One more doctor's appointment tomorrow to get a Holter Monitor - I think that's what it's called - then I go back at the end of November to let Dr. Deepak tell me that I'm just perfect! I'm walking a bit more lately and trying to be more active. I do feel better when I exercise. This monitor is just a patch of some sort that they stick to me and I can shower and do anything at all with it on. I think I'll even be able to take it off myself when the two weeks or so are done. Well, I'll find out how it works tomorrow, tomorrow, it's only a day away.

Quote:  The desire of appearing clever often prevents our becoming so.  __La Rochefoucauld

No comments: