Sunday, October 2, 2016

Ma and Pa were the best . . .

Nice.
Yes, my mother and father were excellent parents in any day and age. I've been reading letters that I've saved over these many years, although it doesn't seem like many years, and even though I have trouble deciphering Pa's letters whether they be in French or English they are such a pleasure to read. They date from my couple of summers in NYC with my older sister in the early 60's. Ma's short cryptic notes at the end of some of them are so tart and smart. I do miss them, well I guess I mean I miss the old days even though they were such tough days sometimes, we were always the center of their universe. In many ways we were spoiled, even though there was so little money and what money there was often paid debts, they always taught us how to live good, sound, respectful, intelligent, well fed, well read yet brave and at times odd lives. I will quote from one of Ma's notes because she always made me laugh with her great quips and understanding of human nature.

4 a.m - worked overtime, darn-it-the hell. (Paragraph symbol: P with a vertical line. Ma always used newspaper short cuts. I'll use the # because that's the closest I can get to it.) Beloved Brats - spoke with . . . . . . . about the electric piano and she wants $200.00 for it. She says she paid $600. I was stunned when she told me $600 and my face must have more than registered surprise, because she indignantly asked; "Well, how much did you think it cost me?" I almost blurted out $60 wondering why the extra $20! Personally I wouldn't give a book of S&H Green stamps for it even though she'd throw in her present "Baby Grand" with it! Meow! Meow! # Pauline did you get a good piano yet? #Gee whiz - I'll not be home when Joe tumbles in tonight!  but I swapped Monday for Sunday - so I'll be with him Sunday - miss you both like the very dickens! Love Ma XX

Ma was a trooper if there ever was one. Younger brother by 7 years was in school in Maine around that time so he must have been coming for a visit. I remember my younger sister and I bringing him to Maine or picking him up or visiting him and we drove up Cadillac Mountain in the fog! Odd ducks we were! But it was always interesting albeit scary at times!

Had a super ride in  our Big Kiddo's play thing - his Dodge Ram SRT10. He came for a visit with puppy today and before lunch offered me a ride - I've been waiting for one and I wasn't disappointed. He took off a few times and sat me back n the seat like it was nothing; impressive power. I'd love to have it to go grocery shopping. I'd go shopping everyday and twice on Sundays. Talked P&D's Pop into washing my poor little Hyundai - it's filthy. Gets dusty and gritty down here especially when we haven't had much rain lately. I did clean the inside yesterday so it'll be good for awhile.

Quote:  Recreation is not the highest kind of enjoyment, but in its time and place is quite as proper as prayer.    _____S. I. Prime

No comments: