Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Randazzo's won't have wine or beer 'til next week . . .

St. John the Evangelist Church





Lock House

Locks are no longer in use. 

Neat train and bridge
Oh well, we bought a Muffaletta to go instead of eating at their outdoor tables. We were on our way back from my carotid ultrasound and an echocardiogram and since P&D's Pop came with me because he had stuff to do in Zachary I thought we should stop for a bit of wine and beer as I always celebrate after leaving a medical office of any kind! But the celebrating was low key as they can't serve alcohol yet! The Muffaletta was fine with root beer!  Next week I have a couple more appointments - pretty much routine stuff so he can tell me I'm doing great. If P&D's Pop comes we may have wine and beer at Randazzo's!

While we were waiting for our sandwich there was another couple waiting for their food. When they got it the husband immediately grabbed it to leave but . . . his wife said to him, "Don't you touch that yet. I'm not ready; don't rush me." I looked at them and started laughing out loud because she sounded just like me when P&D's Pop is ready to jump the gun while I'm still getting ready! She looked at me and knew why I was laughing and we all realized how funny it was. She said they've been living in a 10 by 10 foot room for two months and are always together even in the car so they both get edgy. They lost everything in the flood - they were in their ideal, large, gorgeous home all paid for. She had her office; he had a room for all his fishing and hunting things. The morning of the flood she saw water coming in under the door as she was in her pj's getting her coffee. Fifteen minutes later it was over her head - she's my height. They were able to grab their bibles and a few things before they got out. He managed to get their boat off of the trailer just as it started to float and she had gotten her car started but their 10ft  high electric gate wouldn't open. She got in the boat with her husband but they couldn't get over their beautiful new wrought iron fence so they waited in the boat with some peanut butter, honey and crackers until they were rescued by the Cajun Navy. They tied their boat to a tree in their yard and climbed over the new fence into the rescuer's boat. They are finally managing to buy a small, simple house with a 30 year mortgage rather than try to rebuild their dream home. They both said they just want simple - they're buying a 1600 square foot home half the size of the dream house on half an acre. She said they weren't going to worry about paying it off because they'll be gone to heaven before the mortgage is paid up. There are so many stories here. It's amazing how humans have to ability to adapt. We said good bye but we'll probably see them again because they go to Randazzo's every day. I'm guessing they are staying at a hotel.

Had a chance to go with my friend Amy and her three year old grand daughter Monday. She took us to Plaquemine Bayou Park. We had a good day. I'll post a few photos. The best part was watching and listening as three trains went through the old town, 1848 ish.

Quote:  Laws are silent in the midst of arms.   _____Cicero

No comments: