Friday, October 7, 2016

Just so pleased with myself . . .

Latest scratch built
I've been looking for a real bakery in Denham Springs since we moved here in February and I've found it! It was exciting to find the Ginger Bread Bakery on Linder Road not far from home. The lady's business is in her home. Her home must be the only Swiss Chalet A-frame in the entire South! I swear you don't see A-frames down here, not only that she has a large live oak with branches running along the ground in her side yard and the yard has many old perambulators, tricycles and odd metal sculptures used as flower pots along with many potted plants some beautifully alive and others pretty much dried and crispy critters. I wanted to buy a cake right then and there but the woman who works for the owner said I'd have to order one. I explained I didn't want to order one but to pick one up tout de suite - I explained it didn't have to be a decorated birthday cake just a plain cake would do. The owner heard me from the back room and came out and said she had the almond cakes which had just come out of the oven and if I would come back she frost one for me after it cooled. I asked her if chocolate frosting would go well with the almond cake and she said it would so I agreed to buy the cake if I could sit on their porch and have a coffee while waiting. We agreed but I couldn't buy a coffee because the state will not let her sell it because the bakery is in her home so she gives away coffee and juices! What a riot. I made myself at home on the front porch and shushed the chihuahua that was jumping in its pen. We talked a bit and then she calmed down. The only sound was the whooshing of the machine keeping the tall floating air filled creature waving at passers-by. You would probably drive right by the bakery if that were not there to get your attention. Linder Road is made up of many modest but neat homes and trailer homes. As I enjoyed my coffee and the crazy, funny yard the lady popped her head out and said she had forgotten that she had made a chocolate cake that morning and would I prefer that to the almond. I immediately agreed. In no time at all I was on my way with my chocolate cake at a 15% discount because without realizing it I had a coupon on the ad I had found in the paper last week. Oh the vagaries of life. How great it is.

On a different note - I've stopped taking the second blood pressure medicine, at least for now, and my blood pressure seems to be staying low all by itself! I think I've been overmedicated for the last 10 months. We'll see what all of Dr. Deepak's tests show in the next few months. But I certainly do feel as if my brain is working a heck of a lot better right now!

Quote:  There are two kinds of politeness; one says, "See how polite I am"; the other, "I would make you happy."  ______Tomlinson

No comments: