Sunday, August 12, 2018

And I thought I was prepared . . .

The Trail of Tears - Gibbs Gardens - Ball Ground, Georgia
I remember Ma saying, “ You know what 'thought' did? Peed in his pants.” Well I didn’t do that but something that could have been much worse! We’ve been going to Bass Pro almost every Wednesday to target practice and this past Wednesday was no exception. We always have eye and ear protection. The ejected shell casings from my Browning 22 often go flying so I generally wear long pants, high neckline and sneakers so I don’t get upset when one hits me; they’re hot and they burn! Well this time one of the shells flew above me and dropped directly down inside of my glasses. It hit my right eyelid and by the time I managed to grab my glasses with my left hand, bend my head to let the casing fall to the floor it had already burned my lid pretty good. I’m lucky it didn’t do more damage but it certainly let me know that I wasn’t wearing the right kind of eye protection! I’ll be picking up a pair of safety googles with an extension above the eyes. Wow, that was scarier after I got home and iced it. It didn’t look like much but the next day it looked awful and worse still the day after that! It’s really hard to act fast and safely when you’ve got a loaded pistol in your hand and your ear protection is holding your glasses extra tightly to your head! Oh well. I’m fine just added another scar to this beat up 65 year old body! Yes, 65, the heart surgery in 2015 made me feel 10 years younger!

Was hoping to give our son the portrait my friend Karen did of his Connecticut puppy, Shelbie, but he was out catching fish with his wife so we went to the park here in town for a good walk while the sun was hiding behind the clouds and then stopped at Marble Slab Creamery for ice cream. That felt very refreshing today. We’ve got company coming Thursday. Shelbie’s younger sister, Daytona will be with us for about five or six days while her folks go a visiting the northern grandkids. We always like to keep Daytona even though she favors P&D’s Pop over me! Still when he’s not available she looks to me for company! 

Our next flying contest will be in Glen St. Mary, Florida in September. With a beautiful name like that I expect the ride along the Gulf Coast will be tantalizing. I may need to stop often to look around!Tomorrow I will see Dr. Thompson who set me up with the heart monitor to make sure all is working as advertised! I think it is working just fine now that Medtronic has sent me the 4G device! Yay!

Quote:  Let those who would affect singularity with success first determine to be very virtuous, and they will be sure to be very singular.   _____Colton

No comments: