Monday, December 19, 2011

Poor old house . . .


Eleven degrees outside today; the sun is bright, sparkling on the frosted grass and the poor, old homestead is having trouble warming up. But I guess in the grand scheme of life sixty-six degrees in the house is warm enough. I've put on my warm papates and the comfortable, wool sweater youngest child made for me, have had my breakfast and am on my second cup of coffee so all is well in Moosup. I can take the time to read the edifying Bulletin and get even warmer as I fume at the paucity of real news and the scarcity of well written articles.

Had such great pleasure yesterday when youngest sister-in-law and I had the good fortune to get tickets to the sold out last performance of Annie at the Bradley Playhouse in Putnam. It really did bring tears to my eyes. Not because of the story being told but because I was so appreciative of the effort and love lavished on this production by everyone who worked behind scenes, on stage, in the pit, building sets, making costumes, manning the lights. It was an all out achievement by local people who enjoyed giving of their best to help the beautiful young, intense director, Nicole Panteleakos accomplish a unique rendition of an old favorite. Am I prejudiced? Most definitely. But I honestly could sit through it many more times and enjoy the production by people who love théâtre because it gives them pleasure to work hard and become more than their singular talent but a great collective talent giving happiness and pure delight to the likes of me, someone with no theatrical aspirations but who enjoys the gift of their time consuming, tiring, fulfilling travail. Yes, I am just a slight bit verbose, again, but I am in awe of the people who make the time to give so much of themselves so others may laugh, cry and be carried away to another time and place. Kudos all around.

Now back to the mundane. Have to make my list and most certainly must check it twice to be sure I get all the right ingredients for Christmas Dinner.

Quote: Although it is said of plays that they teach morality, and of the stage that it is the mirror of human life, these assertions are mere declamations, and have no foundation in truth and experience. ___Sir John Hawkins (My dear Sir John, I humbly beg to disagree. You are an old fogey.)

No comments: