Thursday, January 5, 2012

Back to school . . .


Just like old times I'm ready to go back to school after vacation. Lunch duty is always interesting because I never know which of the volunteers will show up to help out, none, one or a half dozen. Poor Kiddo will probably get upset with me today when I give him his after school choices. Of course he will ask if he can play in the playground for a while which will be fine by me but when we get home and he has changed into his play clothes I'll give him a choice of reading or subtraction. Oh the whining and gnashing of teeth that will occur. C'est la vie, n'est-ce pas? Then we will be able to settle down to some good wholesome indoor hall soccer.

Had a good time playing cribbage with S. at her home. She beat me two out of three and almost skunked me on the first game. Then we were pretty close for the last two. We've got a date to play next Tuesday at her house but I may ask her to come here so Puppy's Pop can use my little car to go play horseshoes in East Hartford. The Dodge Ram is a gas guzzler in comparison to the Élantra. Yesterday youngest sister-in-law and I ventured into Rhode Island to wander around Chariho Furniture. We must have wandered for about two hours, she looking at couches, I looking at kitchen tables. We didn't buy anything but it was fun and very interesting. What a beautiful showroom of American and Canadian made furniture. I found a table that I really liked but when I got home I realized that I don't mind my old maple, laminate topped table. At least I know what I like if I go bonkers and decide I can't survive my remaining stay on this great planet without a new table. That day may come. I get antsy for new "things" that are beautiful, delightful to touch, admire and enjoy. We'll see how long I can hold out before the table becomes a necessity. (Chairs too, bien sûr.) On our way back home from our wanderings in furniture heaven we were going to stop for lunch at the Wood River Inn in Hope Valley but they are still celebrating the new year and weren't open so we asked Sandy, our most capable furniture guide, where we should eat and she suggested two Chinese places and ernie t's, a new restaurant in the rather congested, ugly strip mall on Route 138. I'm glad we stopped. It's only five months old; a nice Irish Pub style bar and the food was very good. Puppy's Pop and I will be giving it a try for our combination birthday dinner soon. I think he's going to like it there, as little orphan Annie would say. Very clean, home made everything and willing to change the menu items to suit your taste.

Time to be off and leave Grampa to work on the puzzle!

Quote: When a man has not a good reason for doing a thing, he has one good reason for letting it alone. __Thomas Scott

No comments: