Saturday, January 14, 2012

Reconciliation . . .


Youngest child was somewhat appalled that her seven year old godchild is preparing to make his first confession. And I rather agree. Not too sure what sins a seven year old can commit egregious enough that the church chooses to turn them into worry warts who fear making any mistakes. But since the Roman Catholic Church now calls confession the Sacrament of Reconciliation I suppose it makes all the difference in the world? In any case kids do have to learn right from wrong and as long as they're not brainwashed into thinking they are the most terrible sinners the earth has known a little, very, very little, guilt is okay. As Kiddo was sitting down to supper I reminded him we had to get up early Saturday morning because he had to go to a retreat from 9am to 11:45 am in preparation for Reconciliation next Saturday. He nonchalantly turned to me and announced in a strong, knowing voice and great understanding in his eyes, " Mémé, I just have one good sin - I fight with my brother." I really didn't know what to say and before I could muster up a few words of appreciation for his "good sin" he added. "It's okay, we don't fight anymore." Just like that, easypeasy, he's got it all figured out. No qualms, no problem. Such a wonderful Kiddo.

After dropping him off at Sacred Heart Grampa suggested we eat breakfast at The Shack in Groton. Excellent choice. We'd never been there but I would certainly go back if we were there early in the morning again. They were packed with a line out the door but we chose to sit at the counter so we went right in. The food was delicious, the service excellent and we were on our way home in no time. Well time to go watch UCONN men win one at 11:00am this sunny, cold, windy day.

Quote: A man should never be ashamed to own he has been in the wrong, which is but saying, in other words, that he is wiser to-day than he was yesterday. ___Pope

No comments: