Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Death by Starkweather . . .


I knew yesterday that Starkweather was going to be the scene of an accident. The roads looked pretty good when I left for Big Y around 10:30 so I took my usual route to Plainfield. But the driving on Starkweather was very scary as the shoulder was packed ice and snow so it was difficult to stay in your lane. There was also some pretty heavy slush in the middle of the lane. The road was narrower than usual because it looked as if people were driving down the middle of the road in order to stay away from the shoulders. I was careful and never went over 30 although I noticed people coming from Plainfield still having fun seeing if they could maneuver the bumps and curves at a good rate of speed. I decided then that I would not come home by Starkweather and came home a little before noon by Route 12. Not sure where the fatal accident occurred but a man driving a Toyota SUV lost control on the way to Plainfield and the passenger side slammed into a school bus killing the man's wife. This happened just after noon. I knew that there was going to be a fatal accident on Starweather since they fixed the blind hill, bump, curve. People still drive it as if it were a challenge. I have gone through periods of vowing not to take that winding, narrow road but it is a beautiful ride and definitely a shortcut to the highway. Not sure if I will bypass Starkweather until I get over the sick feeling in my gut and then go on my merry way hoping that all and sundry decide to be careful on our country road.

Puppy's Pop is off to East Hartford to play horseshoes and I am debating whether I should walk out of doors since it is in the 40's and the snow is almost gone, melted right down into the river which is roaring by. Such big decisions I must make! Speaking of decisions I did make a good one yesterday. Youngest called over the weekend to ask if we knew of an FBAR guru.Foreign Bank Accounts can be a problem for Americans living overseas. I called a young attorney, former student from Danielson, and his secretary called back with the name of a lawyer/CPA who is a principal at a big firm in Providence. Lynn is from Danielson. I left her a message but when she hadn't returned my call immediately I found the address of her firm and emailed her. Wonderful lady, seeing that she had a worried mother to contend with, called me in the early evening and said to have youngest send her an email with all pertinent information. She said the minute she saw FBAR in my email subject line she knew she'd better call and help out. I sent a box of Munson's chocolates to my wonderful student to thank him for his help. He also sent us to a lawyer who specializes in elder law when we had our wills written some years ago. It's good to be able to trust a young friend.

Quote: Each departed friend is a magnet that attracts us to the next world. ___Richter

No comments: