Monday, March 19, 2012

Nifty gadget . . .


On my return from East Granby today the heart monitor was awaiting. After a supper of Chinese Beef with Scallions on white rice Puppy's Pop set the Timex so I could use it. I swear, literally, I can never seem to figure out which buttons to push on these gizmos! He has a knack for it. Probably reads and understands what he reads! He got it working and it's quite easy to use. I just have to strap a sensor belt around my lower chest on which I sprinkle some water, push the on off button, wait a bit and the heart rate appears! Since I was curious if the chime would go off when I reached 120 beats per minute ( the target rate the rehab nurses gave me) Puppy's Pop suggested I go up and down the stairs a few times. That worked! Man, it doesn't take much stair climbing to bring the heart rate up! So I'm good to go. I will bring it to Backus with me because they said they want to make sure it's working right.

I spent time with younger sister today. What a pleasure. We hadn't gone out to eat since early January. We followed our routine pepper and egg grinder with a trip to Simsbury for desert. What a beautiful ride. We stopped at the Park to watch all the dogs and their owners running around. It was a fabulous day for the last day of winter.

Had a rather strange Sunday because Kiddo stayed over Saturday night. I didn't want to push him into going to Mass with me so I just offered to bring him to see some real stained glass. He was excited when they made stained glass replicas in art class and also with the plastic beads I had that he put together for Christmas ornaments and melted in the oven. Sacred Heart in Groton is very modern with no windows! So we went to All Hallows when no one was there and he was in awe of the beautiful windows. We had to walk around the whole church and up into the choir loft to see the window with St. Cecelia playing the organ. He also checked out the basement hall and kitchen. I asked if he was ready to leave but he wanted to go back into the church and just sit for a while. So that's what we did. Just sat up front and were quiet and peaceful. Then he was ready to leave and we had to walk all around the back of the school and church to find our car out front. I think it was a good introduction to peace, quiet, calm and beauty.

Quote: In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity. ___Longfellow

No comments: