Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cooking with gas . . .


Puppy's Pop and I went to a heart healthy cooking class at Backus Outpatient last evening. I don't think he was too impressed but only because one of the attendees was a manic depressive type in her manic state and never closed her mouth for rather tedious, self absorbed minutes at a time! We had a sous-chef from Foxwoods and his apprentice. They made wanton soup which I thought was delicious and spicy from the ginger root. The entrée was pan fried swail that had been covered in Mrs. Dash seasoning placed on top of jasmine rice (my favorite) that had been boiled in water. and coconut milk with chopped peppers. A sauce made of orange juice, ginger root and honey was ladled over the fish. In addition they cooked some leeks in the oven. They were left loose on tinfoil, sprinkled with virgin olive oil, fresh garlic, not minced, fresh lemon juice and then wrapped tightly in the foil. Not sure if I've remembered everything because the chef forgot to bring the recipes. We should get them by email sometime today. I enjoyed the rice, fish and sauce but found the leeks a little too earthy for my taste buds. Puppy's Pop ate the rice and fish but left the leeks. It was an hour presentation which was videotaped. I think that they would like to do more presentations but are trying to get a corporate sponsor! I would go back in a heart beat (pun intended.) I've never really seen a professional cook in person and it was very interesting. There were only about 15 people at the presentation and some of them were able to help the chef when he ended up politely listening to the very personal life of the seemingly very intelligent but egocentric lady by interrupting to ask questions. Not sure if Puppy's Pop would like to go again. But I would definitely go.

Finally getting a little rain, yesterday and today. It was so drab yesterday that we took scenic 169 to go have lunch at Java Jive in Woodstock just to perk us up! It worked. Shall be leaving for lunch duty later on and really don't mind the rain. We need it.

Almost forgot the wonders I have wrought. The Wii wasn't working for some reason. I was able to sync the controllers all by myself and we're back in business. Did about a half hour of stretches in the Wii Fit.

Quote: No joy in nature is so sublimely affecting as the joy of a mother at the good fortune of her child. ___Richter

No comments: