Sunday, October 11, 2009

Already a frost

Walking to a defunct goldmine in Juneau. River/stream coming down the mountain in the background.

Expected to pick the Swiss Chard and freeze it for the winter. Got up yesterday, looked out the window and the Chard was wiped out!! Puppy's Pop checked it out and there were nice deer prints all over the place. They had a feast and we're out some healthy veggies! I really do mind because I don't want those deer to start thinking that the garden is their dining area. A lot of people around here fence in their gardens and I think it's ugly and too expensive and too much work. I wonder if we put a salt lick on the hill if they'd stay up there?

Very cold bright morning. Heavy frost and more on the way tomorrow. It will probably finish off the dahlias and I'll be able to dig them up when we get back from Louisiana next week. Then we'll put down some fertilizer and have the garden turned to get ready for Spring planting. Since we've been back from Trip #1 I've had a chance to walk while Grampa flies. It felt good to be back on my routine. I think that I'm even walking a bit faster now! Perhaps the break did me some good!

Have a beautiful black and white portrait of Pepere in the computer room. Renee had drawn it for her Dad a few years back and she made and framed copies for her Aunts and Uncle. She really got him to a T. He's not a young Pepere. He's the Pepere you all remember. Very nice present and greatly appreciated.

Quote: Next to excellence is the appreciation of it. ---Thackeray

No comments: