Sunday, July 4, 2010

Glorious 4th . . .

The gardens at Alnwick.

"Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day, I've got a wonderful feeling everything's going my way." Just one of those moments when you have to plagiarize a little because the music comes to mind instantaneously and you can't help but smile and be glad you're alive. Heck now I feel like finding a production of Oklahoma to enjoy. Which reminds me that I should be looking for a DVD of Oliver because in a couple of weeks great nephew who lives in the old homestead will be in a production of Oliver and I'm going to take Kiddo to see it but I always like to have him prepared for the theatre before we go.

Went out for breakfast in the 37 Ford and I'll be going to Mass soon. I haven't been in so long I'm almost feeling guilty. Grampa is back at the Sterling School for a round of flying. I went with him yesterday and managed to walk around the soccer fields and basketball courts about 4 times before I called it quits. Very pleasant walking and I found some low bush blueberries that aren't quite ripe. I imagine that the birds will beat me to them! Our raspberries are bountiful and Grampa has been keeping Lizzy B's supplied. They give you a choice of home fries, hash browns or fresh fruit with breakfast. The fruit is fantastic right now, sweet, juicy and grown in the neighborhood. She even adds wild blackberries. Salubrious!

I was just testing out Kiddo's swing after our Sterling School escapade when the 62 Vette came rumbling up the drive. What a pretty black rod along with the handsome couple. We sat out under the tamaracks and shot the breeze for a while before they went rumbling back to Oneco. Their visit made me crave chocolate and so I made some really luscious chocolate fudge with walnuts. Every time we go out with these good friends he gives me chocolates to take home. Obviously he's a chocoholic and even though I rarely keep chocolate in the house their visit stirred up those chocolate cravings. I foolishly decided to use a modern thermometer to gauge the soft ball stage for the fudge. It was almost a disaster. I did my old fashioned water test and I knew I should take the candy off of the stove and let it cool down before stirring in the vanilla and walnuts but I let the modern contraption over power my instincts. I lost. The fudge is very tasty but crumbles. Of course it's edible but it certainly doesn't look appetizing. I just close my eyes and eat it anyway.

Quote: Hail! Independence, hail! heaven's next best gift to that of life and an immortal soul! __Thomson

No comments: