Friday, July 9, 2010

It's a good life, Charlie Brown . . .


Already used the second photo and don't know how to get rid of it so I added another photo instead! Ha!

And Kiddo and I had another hallmark day. We started out at the Nautilus Submarine Museum in Groton. He absolutely loved going through the Nautilus with his own talky-thing-a-ma-jig for each of the stops on the tour. That is such a neat tour, as you get to go through the hatches and narrow passages where no space is wasted. Then we went through the museum proper and naturally he was the leader. Had a chance to use a real periscope and sit at an original control room chair and command the sub. I was amazed that we stayed at least 15 minutes in the theatre watching the history of subs in WW II. He was mesmerized by the actual footage of torpedoes sinking German and Japanese ships. I bought him a tee-shirt, a flag windmill and a toy sub that is supposed to sink and surface by itself when you half fill it with baking powder. We couldn't make it work properly but he'll be able to use it in the tub without the baking powder. I think that I'll try it today with baking soda? Very impressive is the fact that the museum is free. I'm sure we'll be going back again.

Watered the garden last evening. It has been way too hot and dry and I've been watering at least twice a week. We're eating tomatoes, cukes, crook neck squash, beets, beans and Swiss chard already. Puppy's Pop is keeping up with the raspberries too. The pumpkins are pumpkining and the Indian corn has tassels so we're doing pretty well. The biggest problem is that some kind of something is causing the cucumber plants to wilt. That's driving me crazy because what Grampa and I like the most are cukes and tomatoes. I think that it's something in this old worn out earth that's giving me the problem. Sat out in my garage swing when all was done and enjoyed the evening with my glass of Cabernet-Sauvignon and waited for Grampa to return from the Jogues Club.






Leaving for Groton a bit later than usual today because I'll stay until 8pm. The Sail Fest fireworks are tomorrow evening and we'll be bringing Kiddo home with us so his folks can be ready for the gang at Richoni's after the gang at the garage! We'll bring him home Sunday morning and then I'll be trying to catch up, once again, with my reading!

Kiddo and I did find something called Pixos that he loves to use and create neat designs. They take the place of the plastic beads with the holes in them that our kids used to place on a small tray with spindles and then we had to use a hot iron to melt them together. These small, colorful beads are place on an indented tray and sprayed with water. When they are dry they stick together. Pretty cool beansies. I'm going to look for a tackle box at Walmart so he can store the varied and plentiful beads. He's very patient working with them even when my clumsy hands mess things up!

Quote: Education is the cheapest defense of nations. __Burke

No comments: