Saturday, September 11, 2010

Vraiment intéressant . . .

Hot air balloon at about 10 at night in Fairbanks.

Quelle journée magnifique! It has been a pretty spectacular day. Kiddo, Grampa and I had a lot of fun yesterday playing Monopoly (kids version), cards and Bakugan plus we got in quite a bit of reading. To top it off Grampa had to leave early this morning to compete in Wrenthem, MA in Old Timers and Classic control line flying. Kiddo and I took the opportunity to have breakfast at McD's and get in some more games and computer stuff before I took him home. We met his Dad on the way. He had a tow call for a motorcycle accident on the Gold Star Bridge. I truly hope it wasn't a fatal. I went by the cleaning up on my way back and it didn't look good.

After Groton I went directly to Putnam for the Franco-Canadian get together where I was to meet my friend who teaches French at Killingly. Only one minor problem; I was there by 12:45 and it didn't really get going until 2pm. Easy peasy. I went and bought myself a new book and a bottle of water and sat in the shade by the Quinebaug as people set up. My friend arrived a bit flustered so I helped her and the French Club kids set up their table to sell cretons. What a wonderful crowd and such perfect weather. The KHS kids sold all of their cretons or as we used to say when I was a kid Gortons. I ended up eating some poutine ( French fries with a beef gravy covered in cheese ), crêpes from rival Woodstock Academy which were not very thin and although they said they were served with sirop d'érable, it was a monstrous fib! They had Aunt Jemima. I almost had a heart attack right then and there. So to salvage the day I bought and ate a half pint of real Maple Ice Cream with maple candy crumbles. Vraiment magnifique! Jose Vachon a French Canadian singer put on quite a show but I left before the cloggers and fiddler were on stage. I really wanted to get home to see how Puppy's Pop had made out at the contest today. We'll go to Wrenthem again tomorrow to finish up the two day flying affair.

I won't go into details but Puppy's Pop did show all and sundry how to save a plane when you're flat on your back. It seems that the plane was coming in on him so he was backing up to save it and fell flat on his back but he did manage to keep control, get back up and actually finish the round. I'm glad I missed that. I would have been petrified that he had gotten hurt or the plane crashed into him or some other weird scenario. Perhaps tomorrow it won't be as windy. We can only hope.

I had also hoped to get to Sterling Family Day because we had friends selling sausage and meatball sandwiches and another nice young lady selling homemade hand creams and lip balm. But we settled for a nice easy spaghetti supper at home.

Quote: Gluttony is the source of all our infirmities and the fountain of all our diseases. As a lamp is choked by a superabundance of oil, and a fire extinguished by excess of fuel, so is the natural health of the body destroyed by intemperate diet. ___Burton

No comments: