Sunday, February 20, 2011

Hatched at breakfast . . .



Puppy's Pop and I went to Lizzy B's as usual this cold, sunny, bright morning and hatched the plan. We decided to take out the closet Ma Tante had had built into our room. It really was useful when we were six at home but with just the two of us it really is a homely son of a gun. With it gone the room opens up very nicely. I had to skip Mass because Puppy's Pop started the demolition the moment we came in from breakfast and believe you me, old chaps, there was no way I was going to leave him! Good thing I prayed as I worked because after he got the closet apart and carted out he was ready to move the bed into the spot without so much as new paint on the radiator or ceiling, where the closet had been or wall paper. Phew. That was a close call. We got it all ship shape in about four hours and I'm loving it. We might both be getting lost for a while because the stuff in the computer room closet was put upstairs in the study and my things were put in that closet. Grampa's things are in the small room closet so we're all set. It's going to take some getting used to but it'll be warmer now that the bed is away from the northern exposure and in the summer we'll find it easier to open all of the windows which are now easily accessible. Good job if I do say so myself. What's really weird is that we had the paint and wall paper to do the job. It's a bit of mix and match but it looks good and is much roomier and brighter for a northern room. We love it. Now I'm trying to talk Grampa into wall papering the living room. He's resisting, so far, but if I decide to hire someone to do it I think his Yankee ingenuity will kick in. He certainly did a good job renewing the old porch. Also trying to fix up his plane room upstairs and turn it into a little library. We've saved scads of money since the workshop has moved to the basement. The new washer has also helped the electric bill because it spins the clothes so dry the dryer finishes up in half the time. Very efficient front loader.Feel like this old house is entering the twenty first century, not in style, it's still functionally obsolete, but for us it's still pretty cool.

Quote: The first sure symptom of a mind in health, is rest of heart, and pleasure felt at home. ___Young

No comments: