Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My cousin's garden . . .


Puppy's Pop And I went for a walk around town after breakfast and my cousin L. was out walking his pretty black Scottie. We went all around his property looking at his extremely beautiful flowers. As we were walking to the back where most of his dahlias are he stopped a bit short and said, "Oh, I think I've caught a skunk." I looked past his shoulder and corroborated this fact. In his Hav-a-heart trap was a sleeping white skunk with a thin black streak down its back. L. continued on but I was a little hesitant so we made an agreement that I would return to pick some flowers after Grampa and I completed our walk. We completed our walk and I grabbed the Swedish Cookbook that my older brother had given to me to bring to L's wife and my camera. When I got back to my cousin's home he had a black garbage bag and was walking toward the skunk! I kid you not. But when I called to him he put aside the bag and his wife stopped hanging out the clothes. They were very unconcerned about the skunk so I just did as they did and we admired the flowers. I now have a beautiful bouquet on the dining room table and loads of photos that I shall share with you! "Yay!" say you. Filled the Elantra with gas today and drove to Groton averaging 39.2 mpg. I am still wowing. Kiddo has been testing this week so he was ecstatic because he didn't have any homework. What a life. He told me he was going to do some reading tonight but I'm wondering? Middle child was home early so I scooted out just ahead of the heaviest EB traffic. Must admit that I'm feeling much better since I've stopped the milk. Seems odd that an intolerance can just pop up. But it's all for the good because Grampa is lactose intolerant and now I'll be even more careful with the products I buy and cook. It's really not a big deal and I've lost about 5 pounds. That's a good thing! Problem is my appetite is coming back!

Quote: What a desolate place would be a world without flowers? --It would be a face without a smile; a feast without a welcome. --Are not flowers the stars of the earth? --And are not our stars the flowers of heaven? __Mrs. Balfour

No comments: