Monday, October 31, 2011

Very hard work. . .


Cleaning up a garden that has snow all over it is neither easy nor fun. Oh my. Did I ever do a lot of cutting back, digging up, dragging wagons full of detritus over the wall, falling down and having to actually roll over in order to get back up in the woods near the wall. But all is now cleared away and Puppy's Pop can borrow his kid brother's tiller and fertilize the soil before he plants the winter rye on half of the garden and grass seed on the other half. I've got to cut back. Getting lazy in my middle years! I did manage to save five more gourds that really are quite pretty. One had turned black but when I brushed it the skin came off and it is a mottled pale tan and green. I'm going to see if I can dry it out and use it to darn socks like Pépé did!

Grampa burned a monster pile of branches and odds and ends yesterday while everything was so wet. He got the fire going so good I gave him all of the personal papers we seem to accumulate and they went up in smoke too. The fire is still smoldering today so he put in some more sticks. The yard is looking fine. The snow is receding so perhaps we'll still have a chance to experience Fall before Winter .

Quote: The eye speaks with an eloquence and truthfulness surpassing speech. _It is the window out of which the winged thoughts often fly unwittingly. _It is the tiny magic mirror on whose crystal surface the moods of feeling fitfully play, like the sunlight and shadow on a quiet stream. ___Tuckerman

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Why not wait until the snow all melts and make your life easier?