Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Already cooking . . .


Can you believe I'm getting a head start on Thanksgiving Dinner? It's a good thing too. I had spoken some time ago with eldest sister-in-law and she had explained how she always cooked up the turkey ahead of time, sliced it up nicely, layered it in gravy and then just had to warm it up on Thanksgiving Day. At the time it didn't really sink in. But as I was thinking about cooking for this year's dinner the idea became extremely appealing. Too bad if the folks coming to dinner don't see a gorgeously browned turkey awaiting them as they walk in the door! This year it will already be ready for serving, beautifully carved and delicious. And yes, it certainly is a very good thing I started today. Since I have plenty of time I decided to follow the recipe instructions to a T. I washed my 18 lb bird, salted the cavity,filled it with celery and onions, ditto the cavity at the neck, covered it with salt, pepper and softened butter, fixed the rack in the roasting pan, oiled the parchment paper that I had placed on the rack, picked up that slippery, fat turkey, placed it breast side down (have to turn it over, breast up, at the half way point) on the parchment paper on the rack and the rack collapsed. Not only did it collapse, an onion came flying out and skimmed along my spotless kitchen floor. I tried to get the rack back into shape along with the bird but after much travail and laughter I took the rack out, popped the slippery bird in the oven breast side up as usual. I'm basting it every 20 minutes and it smells heavenly. Have also cooked up the turnips and sweet potatoes . Will bake pies tomorrow after I pick up the Kiddo. He'll have to help me out getting the house ready since he's staying overnight Wednesday instead of Friday. He'll be a good helper. He does like to do things for me in the kitchen. Thursday I'll only have to set out the hors d'oeuvres, cook and mash the garden Yukon Golds, cook up the broccoli and cauliflower and whatever else needs doing and then we can say "Bless us o Lord and these Thy gifts which we are about to receive from Thy bounty through Christ our Lord. Amen"

No comments: