Thursday, July 30, 2015

Enfin . . . des légumes . . .

It has finally come to pass at the very end of July we shall eat yellow squash from the garden. Wow, I don't think we've ever waited this long for at least a little something from our garden. This has been a grueling year for gardening. I'll also go out right before supper and pick a few small cukes to add to our plain meal of P&D's Pop famous squash and onions with our very own Salisbury Steak. I shall have to break down again and buy some native tomatoes from Nash's Stand on Route 12 towards Danielson. I don't think any of our tomatoes are going to ripen this year an odd confounding irregularity. But what the heck we can still buy good tomatoes and pretend they are home grown. The last ones were excellent.

Got itchy to be out and about yesterday so I called younger brother and his wife to see if I could pay them a visit. Even though it was before nine in the morning she said yes and I was off like a shot. Their property is beautiful and I enjoyed the company. I drove over the back roads just for the pleasure of summertime vistas, the only thing that is not yet taxed in Connecticut. A couple of evenings ago we met middle child and Kiddo for ice cream at Buttonwoods in Preston. That was another great pick-me-up. Today we may take a leisurely ride to the outskirts of Sturbridge, MA to Hog Heaven for plane parts and then lunch at Java Jive in Woodstock. It's going to be a brutally humid day so driving around will be pleasant.

No comments: