Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Mourning Doves looking svelt . . .




Another busyish day. Went walking at South Park immediately after a quick breakfast and didn't even have time to listen to Les Misérables .  I'm in Book 5 and it all seems to be coming together beautifully. How on earth Victor Hugo was able to come up with so many wonderful characters is amazing to me. I'm sure all good authors must know all of their characters but to create a whole set of characters and follow them through 50 years of their lives seems impossible. I just gave an old Volume I of Charles Dickens complete works to a young woman who enjoyed her class on Dickens at LSU.  I'm certain that no class whether about Dickens or Hugo can even begin to do justice to their works. I may have to set myself up for listening to Dickens on Audible.  I keep finding and reading some of my Mother's books.  It feels as if she is sitting near me as I read my evenings away. I believe the Charles Dickens Vol. 1 came with the Moosup family homestead we bought in 1969. Ma Tante Rose lived with us; she had been the keeper of her family's books, photos, and other objects left behind as her brothers and sisters married and took up housekeeping in many towns far and near or as one of her younger brothers did, left to be a cellarer  at the Cistercian Monastery in Conyers, Georgia! 

Well, as usual, I've gotten sidetracked and have rambled on. Revenons à nos moutons! 

Sunset through the Pear Tree

Time to call it a day. Bonsoir, les amis, bonsoir.

Quote:  Leisure is gone; gone where the spinning-wheels are gone, and the pack-horses, and the slow wagons, and the peddlers who brought bargains to the door on sunny afternoons.   ____George Eliot

No comments: