Tuesday, August 24, 2010

More good rain . . .




As you can see the Tamarack on the right is quite sickly. The photos show the bare branches and the needles that have almost completely denuded the poor thing.

Spent a goodly part of the morning taking photos of the tamaracks. One of them is dropping needles like crazy and this is only supposed to happen in the Fall. This is the second year and because of all the rain and wind in the last few days the ground is covered with needles that we are tracking all over the house. We have a couple of people interested in taking down the trees but I'm not sure we should go with a cousin or friend who is not insured. These are big trees and both are leaning and I surmise that these trees don't have a huge root system. Just a tiny bit scary. We'll see what happens. I hate to have them taken down because they feel like part of the family but they also shade the roof too much besides the fact that one of them is seemingly dying. I'll have to keep bugging Puppy's Pop and see what and when we're going to do something.

Went shopping at Big Y and bumped into a friend I haven't seen in a few years. She and I taught at NFA together and both left to have our first babies. Eventually she ended up teaching in Brooklyn while I went to Killingly. Her daughter Amy went to AHS with our son and is a science teacher in Dartmouth,MA. We talked for so long that my shopping trip lasted almost 2 hours! But it was nice to see her. She's trying to recruit me for the Learning After 65 program at Quinebaug. I'm really not into guest lecturers but someday after Kiddo doesn't need me anymore I may audit some college classes or even take them for credit. I shouldn't be surprised about how little I know but you'd think that when you're pushing seventy you'd know a lot. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I haven't done my one hour of walking in the house in ages. Today will be a good day to catch up on my audio book!

Quote: There appears to exist a greater desire to live long than to live well! Measure by man's desires, he cannot live long enough; measure by his good deeds,and he has not lived long enough; measure by his evil deeds, and he has lived too long. __Zimmermann

No comments: