Sunday, August 22, 2010

Flying in the rain . . . Getting soaking wet . . .

This is most amazing. Here I sit in the Dodge Ram writing on the iPad while outside grown men are flying their control line planes in a soaking rain. The rain isn't supposed to let up either and they are out there blissfully unaware that they should be inside not out playing in the rain. Grampa had a good first flight and I lucked out because his friend Damian, a very nice Irishman from the Boston area is taking my place. I thanked him profusely for coming to the Contest here in Lee, MA today. He and his wife and 2 young boys just got back from the Philippines and stopped in Hawaii for a breather. They had a wonderful trip. He's a very engaging young man.

I must admit that there are few people I absolutely despise and one of them came from Bristol for this contest. He's the same imbecile who was at the contest in Texas last year. He is the grubbiest individual I've ever met and a cry baby to boot. Never even flew in Texas and I'm betting he has some excuse for not flying today with the rest of the "real men." As I write the rain is coming down harder and harder but it looks as if they'll be getting in their second flights soon.

We left home at 7am for the 120 mile trip. I was certain the weather would make them postpone the contest and we'd be able to take in the Norman Rockwell Museum which is about 7 miles from here. I always underestimate the male compulsion to pretend to be having a good time. Right now the wind is blowing things around so that just adds to the festivities. I'll continue this story in a bit. Time to watch the fun since Puppy's Pop moved the truck so I could have a front row seat!

The contestants decided not to take anymore flights so they all were judged on one flight. Puppy's Pop won first place in intermediate and was told he should move on up! That's so funny because he really just started intermediate. We'll be packing up soon and will definitely stop for food.

No comments: