Monday, November 1, 2010

And my cup runeth over . . .


So many wonderful escapades these last few days. Was supposed to visit my younger sister today but she and her husband have some type of stomach virus so I asked younger brother and his wife if I could beat them at cribbage. They agreed to let me try but our plans changed early this morning when he received a desperate email from their friend who needed help bottling a batch of rosé. Oh my, what a lot of fun. We had to sip and taste the old wine and then compare it to the new. I'm not fond of rosés but I thought it was very interesting to try to check the color, the aroma, the flavors, the texture, sweetness and other classifications! After notes were taken and some juice added to the new wine we were ready to bottle. I really enjoyed my role. I filled the bottles on what looks like a milking machine. It holds six 750mls bottles and stops when they're full. Very cool. Someone corks them at the next stop. The next person puts the labels on and the last step is to heat seal the protective collar. They are packed inverted, twelve to a case. We only had about 20 cases and it didn't take us too long. I hope I get a chance to go again. But he generally bottles on Wednesdays and I'm only available on Mondays and Tuesdays. He gave all of the helpers a bottle of wine. So I came home with a bottle of St. C., a red, naturellement! And then it was off to lunch and getting beat in cribbage. Perfect day. I'm adding this thought: if kid brother's friend added some sweetness to his rose he could call it Not Chenin Blanc But . . . and it would be fantastique!

On top of all that fun we went out with Oneco friends to Marchetti's in Cranston, RI. Saturday evening. Wonderful food with great friends and we stopped at their home for chocolates before coming home. The restaurant was jammed packed when we got there with lines out the door and it was the same way when we left about two hours later. Incredible food and good prices. And to top it all off Sunday morning we saw two red foxes scoot across the hill, behind the garage and down through the garden before they scampered across the road. And . . . later in the day a red tailed hawk came sailing down the driveway. Plus we ended up with four Halloween goblins, including Kiddo so now we have a nice big bowl of M&M's to eat!

Quote: Wine invents nothing; it only tattles. It let's out all secrets. ___Schiller

No comments: