Monday, November 15, 2010

Pleasures . . .


Must take the time to marvel at our new washing machine! Wow, wow, yowza! Yes, it is that stupefying. Not sure if it's because it's a front loader but the clothes come out almost dry so the dryer doesn't work very long to fluff up the wash. I'm so impressed but don't quite know what words to use to describe my great satisfaction with an appliance. Suffice it to say that it reminds me of That Wonderful, Marvelous, Mud-Washing Machine! That was such a nice book and it is now in Kiddo's library.

Our outing to PPAC yesterday was stellar. The Radio City Christmas Spectacular was nice but not outstanding. Perhaps that was because Kiddo wasn't impressed and I so wanted him to really enjoy it. He did clap and appreciate some of the 12 Scenes but it was a let down for me. Part of the problem was that the actor playing Santa was terrible. His voice didn't project and his acting was awful. Perhaps we got the understudy but usually understudies are very capable. Most of the scenes and music were schmaltzy and geared to a generation older than I. Now that's telling you something! The Rockettes were great and I particularly loved The March of the Wooden Soldiers. The ensemble was mediocre. Perhaps that is the fault of the producer and the director. But the greatest part of the show, I would love to see this part again, was the last scene: The Live Nativity. A narator with a godlike voice told the biblical story as the scene unfolded in great majesty. The singing and music were perfect. I believe I was startled to have the real Christmas story unfold before my eyes in the year of our Lord, 2010 when we seem to be the greatest secular society on Earth. I didn't realize that the Radio City Christmas Show dates back to 1933 and that extravagant tableau has been a staple every year since then. That does give me hope for the future of Our Land. It's such a beautiful tradition along with my March of the Wooden Soldiers. So there is real progress in keeping these traditions and one can only smile and enjoy the wonders man chooses to hold sacred.

That's it for today. I've got my work cut out for me. More of that darn housecleaning and getting caught up with the magazines! I really don't seem to be improving with age. Damn.

Quote: The test of every religious, political, or educational system is the man that it forms. __Amiel

No comments: