Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ice Age IV . . .


7 degrees below to start the day; furnace struggling to keep up; 9 degrees at 9:30 after breakfast in Oneco; projected high of 14 degrees. Gee willikers, where the hell is Gore when we need him to get Mother Nature back on his track? I had so much trouble with my eyes yesterday and I believe it is directly related to the bright sun on the snow and the dry heat in the house. So I am going to be running the humidifier all day long, not just in the bedroom at night, and in spite of the white dust! I've broken down and ordered another one so I'll have two working all day long. My eyes hurt so much by late afternoon yesterday that I had to use my eye drops many times plus wear dark glasses because the light caused real pain. I'm much better this morning but I'm not taking chances. Staying out of bright lights and sitting on top of the old Hankscraft we had for the kids!

Working hard on the Woman with Parasol. Have the edges and the bottom almost completed. It's fun yet annoying at the same time. Will get to Mass today and then stay home and work on it and read yesterday's Bulletin. We watched both UCONN teams win yesterday and that was also fun. I yell and chatise them a lot and am surprised Grampa can stand to be in the same room with me. I always get upset with him when he dares to criticize and yet I never shut up. Got to learn to be more easy going! Poor man puts up with a lot! He's even been helping me with the puzzle! For his help I had him cook up some Pepperidge Farm apple turnovers for his birthday cake! He did a great job while I was off in Groton. We lucked out Friday. Although there was no school in Connecticut the roads were clear by noontime so we went to Richoni's for lunch where Grampa had the Fisherman's Platter and I had Aaron's wonderful French Onion Soup. We weren't allowed to pay so we had a very cheap, delicious lunch! We brought Kiddo home with us and spent a good day taking apart 23 little aliens, putting them together and doing it over again. Also practiced addition facts with the special flashcards and talking pen. Trying to get him interested in really learning a bit about the notes on the piano but he'd rather just thump around on it so I just let him go. Hoping that he starts to realize how to make the sounds work together. He was a little more musical than usual but still rather rambunctious. I don't want to push right now as I'd like his interest to be genuine.

Quote: There is certainly no defense against adverse fortune which is, on the whole, so effectual as an habitual sense of humor. ____T. W. Higginson

No comments: