Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A la recherche du temps perdu . . .


Been thinking about Ma when we were kids. She would do a wash in the front loader Bendix and get the clothes all aligned in a rattan basket so we could line up and take our turns pinning the clothes to the line. It was always a riot to see the socks and underwear freeze solid on the line in no time at all but if the sun made it out, by late afternoon we'd take the still partially frozen clothes in and bend them to fit on all the radiators so they could completely dry. One of my best memories, I can still feel the warmth, was Ma racing upstairs with towels warmed on the radiators, me jumping quickly into bed and she pushing the heavenly warmth of the towels on my feet. It is doubtful I even moved from my original position all night as I slept in the icy cold warmth. It was so cold because the hall radiator upstairs was never turned on so we could sleep well. Ma believed in fresh air so much that she kept a window open in their room even in the dead of winter. She was so proud of it that one morning she brought down a jar of water she kept near the bed and it was ice. What a beautiful, delightful, energetic, intelligent, tough, humorous woman we had caring for us along with Pa, Pépère and Mon Oncle Lucky.

Finished the 500 piece Woman with Parasol yesterday causing supper to be a tad late because we just had to get it done. I also made a very easy cinnamon bread so the house smelled warm and comfortable. Grampa has gone out for coffee even though we've already got at least two more inches of snow and it's still coming down. He was going to play horseshoes in East Hartford but decided against it. I imagine I'll work on my by now ancient hooked rug and do some indoor walking. Although the temperature this morning was warmer than usual, 12 degrees it's still not good enough for walking on snow covered roads.

Quote: A good heart, benevolent feelings, and a balanced mind, lie at the foundation of character. Other things may be deemed fortuitous; they may come and go; but character is that which lives and abides, and is admired long after its possessor has left the earth. ___John Todd

No comments: