Saturday, August 22, 2009

Tamarack Catastrophe?


Photo #1, courtesy of grandson, is the latest game that we play around here.

Photo #2 is Nelson Park in the city of Vancouver.

Here's hoping we don't have to call an arborist to look after the Tamaracks! They are dropping needles by the basketful and it's much too early for that. I called the State of Connecticut's Agriculture Department of Forestry and was told that if it's only from the bottom limbs it's OK. It seems that Tamaracks love water and they've gotten so much of it this year that they are in a super growth spurt causing the tops to be really green and growing thereby shading the lower branches causing them to drop their needles. I hope he's right. He said if the needles start to fall from the top we have to bring them some "not yet dead" needles so they can test them! OK! How would we get not yet dead needles from the top of those monster trees? All the fallen ones are dead, dead, dead. That's when he suggested an arborist! We'll have to see how this plays out. They had a call from another lady this week who was complaining about the same problem. I think that I'll go on line and find out all I can about Tamaracks. I believe that they are in the larch family.

The weather is still so hot and humid that I feel sick when I spend much time out of doors. I've never had that happen before! Egads! It must be the age thing. Super Yuck! So glad we have the air conditioners. I often think of Ma Tante, Memere and Pepere. What troopers they were! They only had fans and never complained!

Quote: Doing nothing with a deal of skill. --Cowper

No comments: