Thursday, April 14, 2016

Experimenting . . .

Mockingbird on the wire
Not sure how we can stay so occupied but we've already put in a pretty good day. Got up, had breakfast went to South Park where P&D's Pop flew two new planes, one electric and one he just finished building, gas. While he was flying I walked the perimeter of the park. Good grief, these parks are all different yet still offer the same amenities. It is beautiful to be here in Denham Springs and vicinity. While walking I stopped several times to watch a Red-headed Woodpecker eating bugs on the trees next to the walking path and I saw two absolutely beautiful, good sized reddish birds eating bugs on the grass. They had no qualms with my being quite close to them. Since I had no idea what kind of birds they were I asked a fairly youngish, Safari-hatted man if he knew what kind of birds they were. After careful analysis he looked at me and said, " They're red. The second one is the female." And off he walked. What is so odd is he wasn't joking with me; he was dead serious. When we got home I looked them up in my trusty Louisiana/Mississippi Birdbook and found out that they were Brown Thrashers. According to the book they sing more than the Mockingbirds and have better songs. So I hope P&D's Pop decides he wants to fly again some nice morning at South Park and and I'll lug my camera with me.

After that we took off for Port Allen, across the mighty Mississippi to Cou-Yon's Barbecue-Seafood-Potatoes. Wow, it's quite a place. Good thing we arrived about 10:45 because as soon as we ordered they were slammed. I think they get slammed every day. There were so many take out orders and many more people coming in to get a head start on lunch. I had barbecued ribs, macaroni and cheese with coleslaw and Texas toast with unsweetened iced tea while P&D's Pop had a three decker Texas toast sandwich with different barbecued meats and a side of odd hot potato salad and coke. We decided to go there because a friend who helped wire The Shed would not take any money for his eight hour day's work so we got him a gift certificate to Couyon's. I know they like it there because his wife showed it to me as we were driving to Lake Martin for our swamp tour.

Now that we're home and not going out again today I decided to experiment with the Ginger Beer I bought, non alcoholic, and the Strawberry Louisiana Whiskey I got at the Ponchatula Strawberry Festival. I mixed about 1/3 of a water glass with 1/3 ginger beer and 1/3 crushed ice and 1/3 Strawberry Whiskey. P&D's Pop is working in his shop while I'm out here on the porch blogging. I have to keep adding ice to my experiment. It's okay but a bit too strong and in particular, too sweet for me. Since we mustn't waste anything I'll drink it up but it'll probably take another full glass of crushed ice to make it go down slowly and smoothly. Suffer I must.

Quote:  The root of all discontent is self-love.   _____J.F. Clarke

No comments: