Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Superior clear crispy day . . .

Starting back down the mountain soon. Not going into Canada this trip.

OK. Got a chance to visit with big brother yesterday; today I'll visit with younger brother and his wife before they head South for a couple of weeks! (Have to deliver that Penuche!) I started out at Sears Essentials in Putnam and managed to buy what I needed even a battery for my old Timex. That store is just about my size and has pretty much everything one would need. Then it was off to Southbridge, only one exit up off of 395 going through Grovsvenordale. It's really a nice ride on Route 31. They didn't have as much snow as the heights in Killingly but it was still pretty nice.

Sister-in-law was just driving out as I came in. She had a doctor's appointment but brother and I had a nice chat and some of his wife's great "cretons." What a treat. I don't make them anymore because I'm the only one who would eat them and since I love them I'd put on way too much weight. I'm having a bit of a battle as it is because I'm not walking as much as usual. Bought myself a new pair of sneakers so I can go back to my indoor walking and listening to recorded books. I got about a quarter of the way through Bleak House by Dickens when I quit walking indoors last Winter. It amazes me but I still remember the story!

I'm in the middle of writing out Christmas cards and listening to Canadian folk music. It's peaceful and so nice to just look out the window at the bright sunshine, 25 degrees and snow as I work inside this old warm house, "cette vieille maison."

Quote: In the man whose childhood has known caresses and kindness, there is always a fibre of memory that can be touched to gentle issues. ---George Eliot

No comments: