Thursday, December 31, 2009

Time marches on . . .


Still getting caught up on my reading but I think I've got too many books and magazines going at the same time! I'm back to walking in the house which means I'm back to listening to recorded books while I walk for about an hour. I'm on Chapter 10 of Bleak House by Dickens. It's interesting having it read to you. I can picture the scenes so well. I don't think anyone writes today who can paint the pictures as Dickens' books do. The readers do a marvelous job accents and all. Sometimes, when I've finished my walking I just sit and listen to the story with my eyes closed and it's like a good movie. I'm also reading some of the old books that came with the house! Right now I'm in the middle of Daphne du Maurier's Hungry Hill. It takes place in Ireland in the nineteenth century and was printed in 1943. Inside of the jacket cover I found this notice: "This book is complete and unabridged; manufactured under wartime conditions in conformity with all government regulations controlling the use of paper and other materials." It was my cousin Rita Veer's book. She was a WAC during WWII. I like reading these books. Kind of brings me back and helps me to remember some things I'd forgotten when I was just a kid myself. I remember that this house was always getting visitors because my Pepere and Memere were here with Ma Tante Rose and Mon Oncle Joe. It was a treat to come here and Pa brought us often. I drank my first whiskey when I was not much more than 10 years old as a toast to the New Year! Not a full shot glass, mind you, but a nice swig in my very own shot glass!

Going to Richoni's for lunch and then taking grandson home to Moosup. He's been having a ball this week "helping out" at the restaurant. They also set him up at a special table so he can play and watch cartoons when he's not "working!" Loves to help out!

Quote: Lost yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty diamond minutes. No reward is offered, for they are gone forever! ----Mrs. Sigourney

No comments: