Monday, January 11, 2010

Oh, to be a gourmet not a gourmand . . .

Not certain you can see the seagulls taking a ride on the ice floes!

I over did it a bit yesterday! We went to Arturo Joe's for dinner and can you believe it they closed at 4pm so the staff could have their New Year's celebration! Luckily there is another very good restaurant in the very same area, The Mariner Grill. So we walked there and had a delicious dinner. Only problem was that I decided that I also wanted dessert even though I was stuffed. Haven't had a belly ache in years. Not fun. But after a few hours I was OK. So, learning a lesson at 67 was somewhat painful but it is a lesson learned! I really do need to eat less because I've put on about 10lbs since I retired a little over 6 years ago. That's making me lazy. We'll see if I can quit eating the Creme Brulee. I think I'll be able to do it because just the thought of it makes me queasy all over again. "To be left alone, and face to face with my own crime, had been just retribution." ----Longfellow.

Will be leaving shortly to go to Southbridge to see older brother and his wife. I've got a couple of books to bring him, one by WF Buckley, Nuremberg, The Reckoning. It's a novel but since he was present in Nuremberg for the trials it's seems almost autobiographical. The other is Beaumarchais which I'll also try to remember to bring to Louisiana this Spring. It is a biography, in translation from French, about a most interesting figure in French music, business and politics who was a Caron.

4 degrees earlier but it'll be about 12 degrees when I leave. Whoopee! How warm is that!

Quote: Man is the only creature endowed with the power of laughter; is he not also the only one that deserves to be laughed at? ----Greville

No comments: