Sunday, March 14, 2010

And the rain came down and the floods came up . . .

Hard to see the planes near the hangar. Photos were taken through the windows of the train.

Incredible amount of water in the Moosup River. If this keeps up we'll have water across the road by Kaman. It's already in the parking lot. Unusual to have it cross the road since they fixed that problem years ago. But I'm sure they weren't thinking of climate change so here we are driving through the river to get to downtown. The ball field in Sterling is underwater along with the track. Mother Nature is pretty cool and she does what ever she likes. We had to put a longer drain pipe off of the gutters on the the section near the old well as we were getting some water in the cellar near the bottom of the stairs. Haven't seen that in ages. Thank goodness that whatever Grampa did near the oil tank is holding up well. Perhaps since the ground must still be partially frozen the fix may be acting like a cement plug? Supposed to get rain until Tuesday. Yuck.

Hated getting out of bed this morning as my body is, naturally, on Standard Time. But I'm now up and ready to hit the Providence Journal, the rest of my magazines and go to Mass. The Bishop was here yesterday for Confirmation. I was invited to go because the oldest child next door was confirmed. I nicely declined the invitation. The Bishop ticks me off. He keeps closing the Catholic Elementary schools but still sends money out of our diocese to all sorts of left wing organizations. That's my personal opinion. When they asked for money for the Campaign for Human Development I said I'd never give them money for anything outside of our parish. I also sent them the article from the American Spectator about how the Catholic Church has been funding Acorn out of these CHD funds. How disgusting is that? Very disgusting. I haven't heard from them so I have no clue if they even looked at the article. I'm really getting upset about all of the money poured into helping people who don't help themselves. I want to see a return on my investment; people being taught how to say 'No" to ignorance, lust, gluttony, greed, laziness, wrath, envy, pride, drugs, alcohol and share stupidity. As kiddo would say, " Watch and learn." I'm sick of handouts for everything imaginable. OK That's my diatribe for the day.

Quote: Sloth is torpidity of the mental faculties; the sluggard is a living insensible. __Zimmermann

Addendum: Amazing Grace a capella - Wondrous, splendorous, marvelous, soulful, thoughtful; local talent greatly appreciated. In addition we listened to a solo piece by a young flutist. Superior music in our village. Also, town driver and truck trying to see what he can do to hold back the river! Only a few inches across South Main. Probably just need some signs. After all some people may not be able to see what's happening. (Sigh . . .)

No comments: